Soft cotton DK yarn, 200g each: Color A, Color B, Color C
Crochet hook, size US 7
ch: chain patt: pattern rep: repeat RS: right side sc: single crochet sl st: slip stitch st(s): stitch(es)
1. 8 sts and 7 rows = 2" worked over sc on US 7 hook.
1. crab stitch (reverse single crochet): Single crochet in reverse, so work from left to right instead of right to left. Insert hook from front to back in stitch to right. Yarn over and draw yarn through stitch. Yarn over and draw yarn through two loops on hook. Continue around project to create finished edge for work.
2. spike stitch: Refer to sidebar info.
1. Using A, ch 73.
2. Row 1: 1 sc in 3rd ch from hook, 1 sc in each ch to end, 1 ch, turn (72 sts).
3. Row 2: 1 sc in each st to end, 1 ch, turn.
4. Rep Row 2 twice, joining in B before end of last st.
5. Row 5 (spike stitch): *1 sc 2 rows below, 1 sc 3 rows below, 1 sc 4 rows below (i.e. in the base of the st in the foundation ch), rep from * to end, 1 ch, turn.
6. Work 3 rows sc, joining in C in last sc of 3rd row, 1 ch, turn.
7. Row 9 (spike stitch): *1 sc 4 rows below (top of previous color band), 1 sc 3 rows below, 1 sc 2 rows below, rep from * to end, 1 ch turn.
8. Work 3 rows sc joining in A in last sc of 3rd row, 1 ch, turn.
9. Row 13 (spike stitch): *1 sc 2 rows below, 1 sc 3 rows below, 1 sc 4 rows below (top of previous color band), rep from * to end, 1 ch, turn.
10. Rep Rows 6-13 inclusive, changing colors in sequence ABC at same time. End rug design with Row 13.
11. Using A, work 1 row of sc.
12. Rows 4 to 11 form patt. Rep these 8 rows until work measures as close to 32" as possible, ending with Row 11.
13. Note: Rows 6-13 form patt, but color change covers 12 rows.
1. Round 1: Using A and with RS facing, work 1sc in each st across top and bottom edge of rug, 2 sc in each corner st, 1 sc in each st up side of rug, spacing sc so there are 3 sc over every 4 row ends. Join with sl st.
2. Round 2: 1 ch, turn work, 1 sc in each st to end placing extra sc in corner stitch. Join with sl st. Rep Round 2 twice.
3. Next round: Crab stitch around edge - no extra sts needed at corners. Fasten off.
1. If you cut off yarn ends, sew ends in before working border. Alternative is to loop ends through with small crochet hook, then work border over them. The sc will enclose ends and give neat finish.
1. If you do not want a finishing border for your mat, fasten off the yarn as you complete each band of color.