Your daughter will love carrying her school essentials in this colorful and unique backpack. With school being right around the corner, start now to crochet this super-cute bag from an array of Simply Soft bright and sassy colors.
- Caron International Simply Soft Medium Worsted Weight Yarn, 1 skein each: Harvest Red (A); Iris (B)
- Crochet hook G-6
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker or contrasting thread
dc: double crochet
sc: single crochet
sc2tog: single crochet 2 together
Slip st: slip stitch
Wsc: wrapped single crochet
- 1. Backpack is 10" long.
- Special Terms
- 1. Sc2tog (single crochet 2 together): Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, (two loops on hook), insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through all three loops on hook (one stitch decreased).
- 2. Wsc (wrapped single crochet): Pull yarn to front of work, below position to insert hook for single crochet, work single crochet normally.
- 1. In single crochet, 3 rounds = 1-1/2" across; 7 rounds - 3-1/2" across. Gauge is not critical for this project.
- 1. Do not join at ends of Rounds 1-11. Use stitch market to mark end of rounds throughout, moving it up as you change colors.
- 2. Do not cut yarn after every color change. Carry color not in use up wrong side (inside) to next row when changing colors.
- 1. Using Color A, * chain 1 turn ch slightly toward you to reveal back bump of ch, sc under back bump, repeat from * until drawstring measures 56" long. Fasten off and set aside.
- 1. Base: Using Color A, chain 3, join with slip stitch to form ring.
- 2. Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 8 sc in ring.
- 3. Rnd 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in each sc around - 16 sts.
- 4. Rnd 9: Working sts around one elastic-cord circle, repeat last rnd.
- 5. Rnd 3: Ch 1, * sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 24 sts.
- 6. Rnd 4: Ch 1, * sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 32 sts.
- 7. Rnd 5: Ch 1, * sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 40 sts.
- 8. Rnd 6: Ch 1, * sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 48 sts.
- 9. Rnd 7: Ch 1, * sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 56 sts.
- 10. Rnd 8: Ch 1, * sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 64 sts.
- 11. Rnd 9: Ch 1, * sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 72 sts.
- 12. Rnd 10: Ch 1, * sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 80 sts.
- 13. Rnd 11: Ch 1, * sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in next sc around - 88 sts.
- 14. Rnd 12: Ch 1, * sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next sc around, join with slip st to first st - 96 sts.
- 15. Rnd 13: Ch 1, sc through back loop only in each sc around, changing to Color B with slip st in first sc at end of round - 96 sts.
- 1. Rnds 14-16: Using B and working through both loops, Wsc in each sc around, join with slip st to first st. On Round 16, change to A with slip st in first sc at end of round.
- 2. Rnd 17: Ch 1, Wsc in each sc around, changing to B with slip stitch in first sc at end of round.
- 3. Rnds 18-32: Repeat Rounds 14-17, ending last repeat with Round 16. Fasten off B.
- 4. Rnds 33-45: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, slip st to first sc.
- 5. Rnd 46: Fold drawstring in half and tie loose ends together securely. Holding drawstring up to top of bag, work sc in each sc around, working over drawstring, and making sure ends are on front of bag and approximately 8" of drawstring is left unworked on each side for handles.
- 6. Rnds 47-49: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
- 1. Row 1: With right side facing, mark center of bag between handles and count 16 sts from center toward handle, join A with slip st, ch 1, sc across 32 sts between handles, turn, leaving remaining sts unworked.
- 2. Rows 2-10: Ch 1, sc in each sc across flap, turn - 32 sts.
- 3. Rows 11-20: Ch 1, sc2tog over first 2 sts, sc across to last 2 sts, sc2tog, turn - 12 sts after Row 20.
- 4. Row 21: Ch 1, sc2tog over first 2 sts, sc in next sc, ch 6, skip 6 sts for buttonhole, sc in next st, sc2tog, turn - 10 sts.
- 5. Row 22: Ch 1, sc2tog over first 2 sts, 5 sc in ch-6 space, sc2tog - 7 sc. Fasten off.
- 1. Using A, work as for Rounds 1-4 of bag - 32 sts.
- 2. Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc2tog around, join with slip st to first sc - 16 sts.
- 3. Rnd 6: Repeat Round 5 - 8 sts. Fasten off, leaving 8" tail. With yarn needle, weave tail through tops of last round, draw together tightly and fasten off. Do not cut tail. Flatten and shape button as desired.
- 1. Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.
- 2. Join A with slip st in either corner of flap, ch 1, sc around flap, continuing around top edge of bag, join with slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
- 3. Sew button to bag under buttonhole. Weave in any remaining ends.