Crochet Green: Chic Handbag
Help keep plastic shopping bags out of the landfills and oceans! Go green and recycle them into a sturdy yet stylish crocheted handbag.
- Colored trash bags cut into 2”-wide strips
- Shell button
- Embellishments: black feathers; white silk flower
- Crochet hook, Size K
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
sc: single crochet
- Purse Bottom
- 1. Ch 2.
- 2. Continue around, but do not connect the rounds. Place a stitch marker to mark the beginning and end of each row.
- 3. As you increase the rounds, you will need to put 2 sc in every other stitch, on every other row. On the other rows, just do a sc in each stitch.
- 4. Continue this pattern until bottom is desired size. Next, slip stitch in the next stitch and ch 1. Do a sc in each stitch around the back stitch only. Do not connect rounds to next row and sc in both stitches. Continue up the bag until desired height is achieved and then, slip in the next stitch and end off.
- Purse Top
- 1. Pick up a stitch in next stitch, halfway around the top, in front stitch only. When you have gone halfway, turn and sc in both stitches to starting point. Continue back and forth with a ch 1 at each beginning until it covers top opening and end off.
- 2. Find the center edge of the top and join with a slip stitch. Ch 5 and skip the next 3 stitches. Slip stitch in next stitch and end off.
- 3. Add a button to match where the chain opening will fit and sew button to bag.
- 1. On one side of purse, crochet 5 stitches and ch 1 and turn. Sc in each st, back and continue in pattern until desired length is reached. Slip stitch across the purse to match up strap. Hot glue embellishments to bag.