Cap Off Your Holiday Tree
sizes: tree, 17-1/2" tall; ornaments, 3" tall
- Balsa wood, 3/8”x34” (trunk); 1/8”x3/4”x34” (branches), two
- Whittling Wood Blocks, two
- Bottle caps
- Thick yarn: lime or green; brown
- Brown cardstock
- Assorted seasonal images from recycled wrapping paper, gift tags, cards, or decorative papers
- Silver wire, 20-gauge
- Glass beads: red; green
- Tulip Soft Matte Fabric Paint: Crimson Red
- Circle punch (same diameter as bottle cap)
- Aleene’s: Crafting Adhesives: Quick Dry Tacky Glue; Wood Glue; Specialty Products: Paper Glaze
- Craft knife
- Tools: needle-nose pliers; hammer and small nails
- Rubber bands
- 1. For trunk, cut 18" length from square wood. Glue piece centered upright between blocks. For added support, cut four pieces from square wood to fit gaps between blocks from side of trunk to outside of block. Glue each piece in place, placing one end against trunk and keeping other end even with outside of blocks.
- 2. Cut and glue card stock strips to cover stand.
- 3. Wrap yarn tightly around entire stand; glue.
- 4. Use pencil to mark two lines around trunk, 4-1/2" above stand and 2-1/2" from top. For branches, cut two lengths each from 1/8"-thick wood as follows: 8-1/2"; 10-1/2"; 12-1/2".
- 5. Apply dab of Wood Glue to one side of trunk at lowest pencil mark and on opposite side. Place center of each 12-1/2" branch onto glue, keeping ends even; secure with rubber band. Repeat for 8-1/2" branches, 2-1/2" from top of trunk, and 10-1/2" branches between upper and lower branches. Starting at one end, wrap and glue lime yarn tightly and completely around branches. Wrap trunk with brown yarn in same way, starting at bottom and leaving several extra inches loose at top.
- Bottle Cap Ornaments
- 1. Use hammer and nail to punch hole through crimped edge of each bottle cap. (Note: Do not punch hole in flat area of cap.)
- 2. Paint outside of cap two coats Crimson Red; let dry. Use scissor of circle punch to cut image to fit inside bottle caps. Glue image to inside cap with hole at top of image. Let dry.
- 3. Paint outside of cap two coats Crimson Red; let dry. Use scissor of circle punch to cut image to fit inside bottle caps. Glue image to inside cap with hole at top of image. Let dry. Apply thick layer of Paper Glaze to images; let dry.
- 4. For hanger, cut 6" wire length. Thread wire through cap hole; twist end into loop to secure. Thread beads onto wire as desired, them form spiral above beads by twisting wire around pencil. Bend wire into "U"-shape to fit over branches, then curl end to finish. Repeat for each bottle cap, varying hanger lengths.
- 5. Use hammer and nail to make hole in top of trunk. Cut 6" wire length. Thread beads onto wire as desired. Form spiral above beads and glue remaining end inside trunk hole. Wrap and glue remaining brown yarn length onto trunk.
- 1. Reuse tree by creating bottle cap ornaments for other holidays, such as Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, and Thanksgiving.