Beaded Crochet Choker
Delicate seed beads and butterfly pendants highlight this crocheted choker. Using a bead chain and a bead single crochet, create this piece using your favorite colors of yarn and beads.
- Nazli Gelin Garden 3 Lavender Yarn, one ball
- White iridescent seed beads, 107
- Laser-cut metallic pendants: butterflies, two; celtic knot
- Silver 2-strand slide clasp
- Crochet hook, size 4/E/3.5mm
- Beading needle
- ruler, scissors, spray bottle of water, rubber mat or blocking board, iron and pressing surface, washcloth or terry towel
bch: bead chain
bsc: bead single crochet
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
yo: yarn over
- 1. Size is 15-1/2"x1".
- Special Stitches
- 1. Bead Single Crochet - bsc - Slide bead on working thread up close to work, sc as usual, catching working thread where it comes out of bead. Beads will settle on side of work facing away from you.
- 2. Bead Chain - bch - Slide bead up close to hook, yo, draw it through, catching working thread where it comes out of bead. The chain holds bead in place.
- 1. Pre-string 33 seed beads, then butterfly pendant, then 36 seed beads, then second butterfly pendant, then 28 seed beads. Center pendant is attached after choker is crocheted. Choker can be lengthened or shortened by adding or subtracting plain, non-beaded rows at beginning and end.
- 1. Ch 6, leaving long tail (8"-10") for attaching clasp in later step.
- 2. Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hk and in ea ch across. Ch 1, turn. 5 sc.
- 3. Rows 2-6: Sc in ea sc across. Ch 1, turn.
- 4. Row 7: Sc in ea of first 2 sc, bsc, sc in each of next 2 sc. Ch 1, turn.
- 5. Row 8 and all remaining even numbered rows: Rep Row 2.
- 6. Row 9: Sc in first sc, bsc in ea of next 3 sc, sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.
- 7. Row 11: Bsc in ea sc across. Ch 1, turn.
- 8. Row 13: Rep Row 9.
- 9. Rows 15-27: Rep Rows 7-14 once then Rows 7-10 once more. After Row 27, ch 1, bch picking up first butterfly pendant, ch 1, then turn.
- 10. Rows 28-51: Rep Rows 11-14, then Rows 7-14 twice, then Rows 7-10 once more. After Row 52, ch 1, bch picking up second butterfly pendant, ch 1, then turn.
- 11. Rows 52-71: Rep Rows 11-14, then Rows 1-14, then Row 7.
- 12. Rows 72-77: Rep Row 2. End off after Row 77, leaving long tail for attaching clasp.
- Attach Center Pendant
- 1. With new working yarn, string five seed beads, then center pendant, then five seed beads.
- 2. Join yarn with sl st at bottom of choker, at base of the second three-bead row from butterfly.
- 3. Row 1: (Bch, ch 1) 5 times, bch catching center pendant, (ch 1, bch) 5 times. Sk two three-bead rows, attach work with sl st at base of next three-bead row. End off.
- 1. Block work by misting stitched choker with water, then pinning on rubber mat or blocking board. Or press choker flat with medium-hot iron, tugging to full width while keeping between two layers of washcloth or terry towel to prevent bead breakage or scratches on iron.
- 2. Using beading needle and long tails left at start and end of choker, stitch one side of clasp to each side of choker.
- 3. Weave in all ends.