Cross-Stitch Winter Trio
size: stitched area: flower, 3"x3"; chevron and diamond, 5"x5" finished design: 4"x14"; stitch counts: flower, 25 w x 25 h; chevron, 41 w x 38 h; diamond, 41 w x 40 h
- Burlap fabric, 9”x27”
- Mason jar dome lids and bands, 4”, three
- Embroidery floss: ecru, red
- Red/white baker’s twine or ribbon, 1-1/2 yds.
- Corrugated cardboard
- Embroidery hoop, 6” or 7”
- Embroidery needle
- Pale blue fabric paint
- scissors, paintbrush, ruler
Pattern - Cross-Stitch Winter Trio
- 1. Cut burlap into three 9"x9" squares. On covered work surface, paint 6" large circle on center of each square using pale blue fabric paint. Set aside until completely dry.
- 2. Center first burlap square in embroidery hoop. Cross-stitch first design centered on fabric using three strands of floss. Repeat for remaining two designs. Remove hoop.
- 3. Place first embroidered square right side up on top of jar lid. Press lid into back of band, ensuring design is centered in band. (Note: Lid should fit tightly so it won't fall out.) Repeat with remaining two designs.
- 4. Trim excess fabric from back of each project, leaving approximately 1" excess around designs.
- 5. Cut circle of corrugated cardboard just larger than inside of band. Push cardboard into back of band over trimmed ends of fabric. Repeat for remaining two bands.
- 6. To hang, find center of string and wrap around bottom (diamond) band; knot firmly. Continue to wrap both string ends around center (chevron) band and secure with knot. Finish with top (flower) band and knot to secure. Tie remaining ends into loop to hang.
- 1. Cross stitch looks best when the "crosses" are sewn in the same direction. If you start by sewing the center stitches on the pattern and line them up with the center of the painted circle, you'll ensure that the design threads lay nicely on the painted fabric.