Pattern - Punch Needle Reindeer Ornament
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. Use pencil to transfer design to center of fabric. Place inside embroidery hoop, pattern side up, and tighten hoop until fabric is drum tight.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's instructions to threading and punching. Use two strands of 3'-4' lengths of floss with punch needle gauge at #3 for 1/4" loops. Stitch design in the following order, first outlining area, then filling in with rows of stitches: Nose: Red; Eyes: Black; Head, ears, neck: Outline with Brown; fill in with Light Brown; Antlers: Tan; Background: Blue.
- 3. Check front of design for any place where fabric shows through and fill in with appropriate colors if needed.
- 4. Remove design from hoop. Cut away excess fabric, leaving about 1/2" of fabric all around punched design.
- 5. Fold and glue excess fabric to back. Start with corners, folding diagonally right at edge of punching, then fold each side to back, forming a miter at corner. Apply glue thinly so it does not seep through to front.
- 6. Measure back of ornament and cut a piece of cardboard or plastic to fit and a piece of felt 1/8" larger all around. Glue cardboard or plastic to back of ornament for stability and cover with felt.
- 7. Glue center section of chenille cord to bottom of ornament, covering fabric edge. Continue with both ends up sides and across top, stopping at center. When glue has set, tie knot at top or ornament and again at ends of cord to form hanger.
- 8. Tie ribbon bow and sew bell to knot. Tack or glue under reindeer's head, at one side; arrange ribbon ends as desired.