Testors Aztek Airbrushable Acrylic Paints: Opaque Red (9446), Opaque Blue (9449)
StenSource International Heart Wreath Stencils, four
3M Scotch Spray Mount Repositionable Adhesive
scissors, iron and pressing surface, ruler or measuring tape, newspaper (to cover work surface), straight pins, painter’s tape, soft cloth
1. Machine wash and dry fabric. Do not use fabric softener. Measure and cut fabric to 21"x81".
2. Machine-sew zigzag on all four edges using white thread. See Photo 1. Press 1-1/2" hem on all four sides. To avoid bulk in corners, use miter technique. See Photo 2.
3. Choose vine pattern or other decorative stitch on sewing machine to sew hem using red thread. Pivot at corners to create one continuous stitched line. See Photo 3.
4. On covered work surface, spray back of stencils with stencil adhesive. (Note: Four is ideal number of stencils for this project as it eliminates work of cleaning paint from stencil surface after each use or when turning stencil over for mirror image.)
5. Mix small amount of Opaque Blue paint with Opaque Red paint for deep red color. Find vertical and horizontal centers of fabric; mark with pins or painter's tape. Use marks as guides for placement of stencils. See Photo 4.
6. Position stencil to left and right of vertical center above horizontal center and slightly angled. Mask off areas outside of stencils to avoid overspray. Follow manufacturer's instructions to airbrush two wreaths. Let dry. See Photo 5.
7. Remove stencils and position below horizontal center at angle to match painted wreaths above so four wreaths are aligned diagonally. Airbrush. Let dry. See Photo 6.
8. Use painter's tape to mask off all areas of stencil except for upper arch of wreath. See Photo 7. Place one arch above horizontal center and one below. Airbrush both. See Photo 8.
9. Create left and right extensions by placing two arches side-by-side above horizontal center. Airbrush. See Photo 9. Place two arches below horizontal center and airbrush. See Photo 10.
10. Repeat Step 9 to create extensions on right side of runner. See Photo 11.
11. Let paint dry for 24 hours. Cover stenciled design with soft cloth; iron to set paint.