Pattern - HoHoHo
Pattern - Tree Top Front
Pattern - Tree Topper Back
- 1. For tree topper front, cross-stitch design and use Gold floss to attach beads as indicated on chart. Quick Tip: To attach beads, stitch first stitch of X, come up through vinyl Aida, attach bead to needle and complete second half of stitch. Since you will sandwich Santa to second piece of vinyl and the back of stitching won't show, you may run floss from bead to bead as long as you anchor it frequently and don't carry it longer than 10 square.
- 2. Stitch all back stitches on inside of Santa and along bottom of Santa's boots, but do not stitch outline of body, hat, mittens, or sides of boots. This will be done as a running stitch to connect front to back (Step 5).
- 3. For tree topper back, repeat Steps 1 and 2. (Optional: For a one-sided tree topper, attach blank vinyl to back instead of stitching back or simply stitch family name, date, and desired holiday message.)
- 4. Using sharp scissors, follow purple cut line on pattern to trim away excess vinyl on front and back. (Note: When cutting, stay at least one full square from stitching.)
- 5. With right sides facing out, sandwich front and back together. Cut 1 yd. length from two strands of floss. Beginning on Santa's right cuff and moving up along beard and hat, use running stitch through both thicknesses of Aida to join. Make two complete revolutions of Santa with running stitch to achieve the appearance of back stitching and join sides together. (Note: Do not stitch mittens. Mittens will be back stitch after wire is attached.) Quick Tip: Leave bottom of boots open so topper may be placed on tree.
- 6. Use another piece of vinyl Aida to cross-stitch each letter and attach beads as indicated on chart. Stitch two sets of "HO HO HO". If using optional one-sided topper, only stitch one set of letters.
- 7. Follow purple cut line on pattern to trim away excess vinyl on each letter. Take first set of letters and angle slightly so upper right side of H touches upper left side of O at an angle, slightly overlapping; use glue dot to secure together. Repeat for remaining sets of letters.
- 8. To string letters together, thread 12" wire length through back of Santa's left mitten by thumb from back to front. Create three curls around pencil. Pull remaining wire length behind vinyl and pull it out to front of mitten, near fingers. Curl wire four times around pencil. Thread end through top left corner (three spaces down and three spaces in) of the first "H" and bend it in a circle on back of letter to secure. Thread 8" wire length through back of first "O" in upper right corner (three spaces in and three spaces down) and bend it in a circle to secure it to the letter. Curl wire (sticking out of front of letter) four times before attaching next "H". Repeat to attach second "O" to final "H". Thread remaining 12" wire length and poke it through back of Santa's right mitten by thumb from back to front. Create three curls by wrapping wire around pencil three times. Pull remaining piece of wire behind mitten and pull it out near fingers. Curl wire four times around pencil. Stick end through front of last "O" in top right corner (three spaces down and three spaces in) and bend it in a circle to secure in place.
- 9. Repeat Step 8 for back side of topper.
- 10. Use one yard of floss and running stitch to finish off outside of mittens, making two complete revolutions.
- 1. Read all instructions before beginning. Use three strands of floss for cross-stitches, and two strands for back stitches and running stitches.