Pattern - Country Pumpkin Casserole
- 1. Cut a 10-1/2"x36" rectangle from cover fabric, lining fabric, and batting. Baste batting to back of cover rectangle. Sew lining to cover rectangle, leaving 4" opening on one side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 2. Cut a 14-1/2"x28" rectangle from cover fabric, lining fabric, and batting. For handle openings, cut 4"-wide by 2" deep rectangle from center top of 14-1/2" sides on cover, lining, and batting rectangles. Baste batting to back of cover rectangle. Sew lining to cover rectangle, leaving 4" opening on one side for turning. Trim seam at outside corners. Clip seam to stitching on inside corners. Turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed.
- 3. Lay rectangle with handle opening flat on work surface with right side facing down. Place finished 9-1/2"x35" rectangle centered on top of the first rectangle centered on top of the first rectangle with length running in the opposite direction and right side facing down. Sew around the center of the overlapped rectangles 1/4" from edges, stitching a 9"x13" rectangle. (Note: Bottom of casserole will be placed in stitched area. Double thickness of fabrics and batting will work like a pot holder to protect surface under casserole and help keep casserole warm.)
- 4. Sew hook-and-loop tape to ends of 9-1/2" sides so that the two sides of tape will hook together, making a nice fit over casserole dish.
- 5. Fold ends of ribbon over 1/2". Pin ribbon pieces across top of 13-1/2" sides of lining (on both sides of handle openings) with folded ends of ribbon facing fabric. Sew close to long edges of rib bon to make a casing. Insert a dowel through each pair of casings.
- 6. Place casserole dish in center of carrier. Bring hook-and-loop sides of carrier over dish and attach tape. Bring handle sides of carrier up and hold handle dowels together to carry.
- 7. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/2" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Carrier is assembled as two separate rectangles and then are sewn together in the center.