Floral Switch Plates
Environmental Technology Inc.
Floral Switch Plates
- Plastic switch plate covers
- Patterned paper napkins
- ETI Envirotex Lite Pour-On High Gloss Finish, 8 oz.
- Acrylic paint
- White craft adhesive
- scissors, disposable cups, wire rack, craft sticks, disposable gloves, toothpick, heat tool, sandpaper, wax paper
- 1. Peel underside layers from napkin and set aside. Trim thin layer of napkin 1" larger than switch cover.
- 2. Apply adhesive to top of switch cover. Carefully smooth paper napkin in place, wrapping and adhering to back edge. Brush and smooth thin napkin onto cover using dry paintbrush. Let dry.
- 3. Open screw holes from front to back with tip of paintbrush handle. Cut switch and plug opening with scissors and push paper down around openings. Trim away excess paper on cover back.
- 4. Apply adhesive to cover surface and edges; let dry. Apply final layer of adhesive and let dry eight hours or overnight. (Note: Multiple layers of adhesive effectively seal paper; the Envirotex resin may blemish poorly sealed paper.)
- 5. Line cardboard box with several layers of waxed paper and place wire rack inside. Set covers right side up on wire rack.
- 6. Wear gloves and mix Envirotex Lite resin following manufacturer's instructions. Mix one ounce for small covers and two ounces for large covers. Slowly pour resin over top of each piece. Let resin sit for a few minutes, then use a craft stick to spread it over any bare spots.
- 7. Let project sit for 15 minutes, then gently pop bubbles in resin using heat tool. Moving cover across wire rack easily scrapes off resin drips that form under the cover.
- 8. Poke toothpick into screw hole to move covers around. Shift covers three times for 15 minutes each to eliminate having to sand or grind away drips of strong, cured resin. Let project dry for 24 hours.
- 9. If necessary, remove drips from back of cover using sandpaper.
- 10. Dab matching acrylic paint onto tops of cover screws to conceal.
- 1. Avoid lumps of paper on cover back; switches/plugs have to fit inside and cover should mount flat on wall. The paper wrapped to cover back may be unsightly but won't be visible once mounted on wall.