Pattern - Winter Countryside Shadowbox
- 1. Print out full-size patterns.
- 2. Cut 8-1/4"x12" panels from foam board and blue cardstock.
- 3. Lightly spray blue cardstock with silver glitter on covered work surface; let dry. Adhere blue cardstock to front of foam board. Punch snowflakes and stars from white computer paper and adhere to top portion of blue cardstock.
- 4. Transfer patterns to back of white cardstock and cut out. Cut windows and doors on houses using craft knife. Adhere pattern #1 onto blue paper and cut squares through foam board using craft knife. Adhere bottom of small tree on back of cutout #3.
- 5. Place balsa wood on cutting mat. Mark and cut two 1-5/8"x12" strips and 1-7/8"x8-3/8" strip. Apply two coats of white acrylic paint to balsa strips using flat. Let dry.
- 6. Refer to pattern to cut slots into 12" balsa wood pieces. Adhere back edge of balsa wood side pieces to front edges of paper-covered foam board.
- 7. Fold houses accordion style. Fold roofs down and adhere to top edge of houses. Apply light coat of white paint to folded houses using damp brush; let dry. Fold tabs under and attach above transferred line from pattern #1 using double-sided tape. (Note: The spacers should hold houses away from background.)
- 8. Thread lights into left square and out right square from shadowbox back. Tape 1" of light strand end to back of foam board. Pull remaining lights out of right square, saving five lights for houses. Attach one light under center of each house using Zots dots, bending excess wire into loops.
- 9. Accordion-fold remaining wired lights and insert into plastic tube. Adhere tube to back of silver mat using adhesives strips.
- 10. Using seesaw motion, insert cutouts 2, 3, and 4 into slots, starting with 2 in first slot in back. Gently pull papers taut using pliers. Adhere remaining balsa piece to bottom of balsa/foam box. Adhere deer cutout to front bottom edge of box.
- 11. Check placement of mats inside frame when gently pushed against glass. Trim with craft knife and metal ruler if needed.
- 12. Using wet paintbrush, apply two or three coats of silver paint to inner mat. Let dry. Coat outer mat with blue paint and let dry. Adhere double mat on top of balsa wood, matching top edge of mats to top of balsa side panels.
- 13. Insert matted foam box into shadowbox frame and position close to glass. Remove foam from frame's cardboard backing. Attach battery box with adhesive strips, either inside frame or outside of frame's backing. If you choose to mount it to back, cut notch in backing to thread wire through.
- 1. always keep fingers away from front of the craft knife. Press knife lightly to score the area you're cutting and make several passes, increasing pressure as you cut. Change blades often.