Layered Paper Trees
Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
Layered Paper Trees
- Oval bowl/vase: 4-1/2”x6-3/4”x4-1/4”
- FloraCraft Foam Blocks, 1-15/16”x3-7/8”x3-7/8”, two
- FloraCraft Design It: Dyed Spanish Moss
- Print papers, 12”x12”: Bella Blvd. Christmas Countdown Collection Tree Park, two, Believe, four, Christmas, two; American Crafts Imaginisce Colors of Christmas Collection Ornamental
- Wooden dowel, 1/4”x36”
- FloraCraft Design It: Foam Cutter
- Circle punch, 1/4”
- Small hand saw
- Cricut Electronic Cutting Machine with Plantin Schoolbook Cartridge (29-0390)
- Design Master TintIT Sheer Color Spray: Strawberry, Chartreuse, Sunflower; Spray Primer; Clear Finish Gloss (optional)
- Adhesives: Elmer’s CraftBond Quick Dry Dual Tip Glue Pen; glue gun and sticks
- pencil, scissors, ruler, newspaper and large cardboard box for spraying, scoring tool, stylus
- 1. Use electronic cutting machine to cut tree sections from papers. Each tree section consists of two circles cut from same paper style with 1" difference in diameter. For best variety, designate four print papers as A, B, C, and D. For large tree set, cut as follows: 2" and 3" circle from paper A; 5" and 6" circle from paper B; 8" and 9" circle from paper C; 11" and 12" circle from paper D. (Note: Machine cannot cut 12" circle; draw and cut manually.)
- 2. Repeat Step 1 to cut sections for small tree set, eliminating 11" and 12" circles.
- 3. Cut 3" and 2" stars from papers using electronic cutting machine.
- 4. Working on one set of papers at a time, spray smaller circle from each section, alternating between colors as shown. See Photos 1-3. In well-ventilated area on protected work surface, lightly mist paper circles with Strawberry or Chartreuse. Let dry. If darker color is desired, apply additional coats, especially around edges. Let paper dry thoroughly. Spray stars Sunflower. Let dry.
- 5. Spray vase with primer; let dry. See Photo 4.
- 6. Spray vase Strawberry, applying as many coats as desired. See Photo 5. Let dry. (Note: For increased shine, after vase is completely dry, spray with gloss finish. Let dry.)
- 7. Align one foam block in front of other to fit into vase. Use cutter to trim foam ends as needed. Adhere foam inside vase using glue gun.
- 8. Fold each paper circle in half and adhere. Then fold in half again and adhere open straight edge, creating flat cone shape.
- 9. Punch hole in pointed tip of cones, sliding punch only halfway over tip, so opening is just large enough for dowel. (Note: Practice on scrap circles, positioning on dowel to check fit.)
- 10. Cut dowel into 21" and 15" lengths. Slide cone pairs onto dowels as shown, leaving room at top for stars. Insert dowels into foam in vase, with smaller tree in front of larger tree. Spread moss to cover foam; adhere using glue gun.
- 11. To make stars dimensional, press lines on back of stars, scoring from points to center using stylus and ruler. Turn stars over to front and score from inner corners to centers. Pinch on fold lines creating dimension. Adhere to tops of dowels using glue gun.