Christmas Countdown Calendar
- Unfinished wooden tray, approx. 11-1/2”x17-1/2”x2-1/2”
- Metal box of choice, approx. 6-1/2”x2”x2”
- Mini clipboard with metal clip, 6”x9”
- October Afternoon Make It Merry Collection Patterned Paper Sheets, 12”x12”: Make A Card, two; Make A Countdown; Make A Song
- Paintbrush, 1/4”-1/2”
- Elmer’s X-ACTO Tools: Rotary Paper Trimmer, 12”; Metal Ruler, 12”
- Design Master Sepia TintIT Spray Dye
- Adhesives: Elmer’s CraftBond All Purpose Glue Stick, glue gun with sticks
- paper towels, newspaper and large cardboard box for spraying, small container, scrap paper, sawtooth hanger kit (optional), hammer, nail
- 1. In well-ventilated area on protected surface, lightly spray back, outside, and inside edges of tray Sepia. Let dry. Apply additional coats as desired to darken color. Let dry completely.
- 2. Measure inside bottom of tray. Cut Make A Card paper to fit using trimmer. Trim additional piece if needed, and piece along bottom. Adhere paper to tray using glue stick.
- 3. Cut 6"x7-1/2" panel from Make A Song paper. Spray edges of panel Sepia. See Photo 1. Hold panel horizontally flat; hold spray can vertically at edge of paper. Lightly mist paper to apply color to paper surface, darkening closest edges. Rotate to spray entire panel. (Note: Practice technique on scrap paper first.) Let dry.
- 4. Spray clipboard edges Sepia. Hold clipboard and spray can vertically. See Photo 2. Angle nozzle away from clipboard. While spraying, move clipboard edge in and out of spray to dye edges without spraying entire board. Rotate to spray all clipboard edges. (Note: Pressboard is absorbent and may require additional coats.) Let dry.
- 5. Cut apart 25 day squares from Make A Countdown paper using trimmer. Spray small amount of Sepia into small container. Drybrush edges of number square Sepia, stroking brush out, away from edge. See Photo 3. Repeat with all edges, applying coats until desired effect is achieved. Repeat with all squares.
- 6. Lightly spray clipboard clip and metal box as in Step 1. Let dry.
- 7. If hanging, attach sawtooth hanger at top back of tray.
- 8. Inside tray, pound small nail into tray bottom to hold clipboard. Slide music panel and countdown number under clip; hang board on nail. Position metal box inside tray edge; adhere using glue gun. Arrange remaining countdown numbers inside box. Change number daily to reflect number of days until Christmas.
- 1. Practice spraying tint on scrap paper to master techniques and achieve desired effects.