Art on the Block Cube
- Ivory mat board
- White paper: stamping, tissue
- Unfinished wooden shapes: finial, pedestal
- Metal embellishments: Advantus Tim Holtz Idea-ology Observation Word Bands, Numerals; assorted 3-D gears; large roman numeral clock face
- Black trim
- Stamper’s Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection Stamps: Steampunk (CMS107), Artful Tools (CMS163)
- StencilGirl Products Stencils: Gears (L030), Layered Salad (S111)
- Blending tool
- Die-cutting machine with Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Block/Cube/Bank 3D Die (658983)
- Inks: Ranger Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress, Jet Black Archival; clear embossing
- Acrylic paints: white, colors of choice
- Permanent pens and color markers, in colors of choice
- Ranger Melt Arts Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE): Gold, Platinum, Bronze
- Adhesives: decoupage medium, craft glue, double-sided tape, gloss sealer
- paper trimmer, scissors, ruler, pencil, craft mat, paintbrushes, heat tool, paper towel
- 1. Following manufacturer's instructions, die cut two pieces of mat board and dry assemble cube. See Photos 1 and 2. (Note: For easier design placement later, mark top of square and each side with position with pencil.)
- 2. Cut six 2-3/4" square panels from paper. Paint each with random, bright colors. See Photo 3.
- 3. Stencil gears Vintage Photo on panels using blending tool. Cover with clear embossing powder; heat set. See Photo 4.
- 4. Lay stencil back over embossed areas. Stamp Artful Tools across stencil using Jet Black ink. See Photo 5.
- 5. Roll stamp Steampunk carefully in non-embossed areas of panels. Color with various markers for contrast. Position embellishments on each square as desired, with four sides with metal elements. See Photo 6.
- 6. Trace gear stencil on white tissue paper with permanent pen. See Photo 7. Create stamped, colored image on tissue paper large enough to cover finial. See Photo 8. Use acrylic paints and salad stencil, highlighting with black pen.
- 7. Basecoat finial and pedestal white. Cut and tear pieces of stenciled tissue paper; adhere to finial using découpage medium. Embellish as desired by painting using photo as guide. Seal with gloss medium. Adhere black trim. See Photo 9.
- 8. Apply stenciled gears to pedestal, embellishing and sealing as in Step 7. See Photo 10.
- 9. Push metal numbers into embossing ink, then carefully push into open jar of Gold UTEE. Lay numbers on craft sheet. Melt UTEE with heat tool. While hot, sprinkle with Platinum and Bronze UTEE. See Photo 11.
- 10. Decorate each side as desired; adhere to box. See Photos 12-15. (Note: Be aware of which direction each side will be facing when box is assembled.)
- 11. Assemble box; adhering edges with double-sided tape. Adhere finial to top of box, centered on metal embellishment, using craft glue. See Photo 16. Adhere box to pedestal using craft glue.
- 12. Apply white acrylic paint to word bands as shown. Wipe excess with paper towel. Let dry.