Christmas Mailbox Card
Customize these nature-inspired Susan Louise fine art images using water-reactive inks and a fun technique that creates a realistic snowfall look. Layer multiple images to create beautiful dimension.
Christmas Mailbox Card
- Susan Louise Paper Pics Christmas Set 4 Mailbox Image (see Tip)
- Cardstock: gold linen, deep red, dark green
- Papers: Prima Marketing Nature Garden Collection Fairy Godmother, white
- Scrap paper
- Red satin ribbon, 13/16”-wide
- Small red metal nailhead sticker
- Die-cutting system and dies: Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Eleven Set, Impression Obsession Pine Bough
- Large corner rounder punch
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks Pads: Iced Spruce, Frayed Burlap
- Ranger Inkssentials Blending Tool and Foam Pads
- Small water mister or water dish
- Adhesives: adhesive runner, assorted foam squares, Eclectic Products E6000 Spray Adhesive
- paper trimmer, scoring tool, scissors, ruler, pencil, cardboard box with no lid, paper towels, non-stick craft sheet, heat tool (optional)
- 1. Size is 4-1/4"x5-1/2".
- Christmas Mailbox Card
- 1. Make 4-1/4"x5-1/2" gold linen side-fold card.
- 2. Cut 3-1/8"x3-3/8" deep red cardstock panel; round corners with punch.
- 3. Die cut #6 label from patterned paper, #5 label from one Paper Pic image, and #4 label from second Paper Pic image. Use photo as guide. Die cut pine bough from dark green cardstock.
- 4. Cut 6" ribbon length.
- 5. Measure and lightly mark top and bottom edges of card front 1-5/8" from fold. Mark again 3/4" from first mark. Using adhesive runner, apply adhesive between marks along top and bottom edges; apply 2" of adhesive down center of card. Press ribbon to card; trim ends flush with card.
- 6. Using photo as guide and ink blending tool, apply Distress Inks to scrap paper to test inking technique. Working on craft sheet, ink foam pad and apply to paper edges in circular motion, starting off edge of paper and working toward center. Ink will be more concentrated around paper edges and fade in center.
- 7. In same way, first apply Iced Spruce Distress Ink to upper portion of large Mailbox Paper Pic, and then apply Frayed Burlap to lower portion. Apply inks in same way to smaller Mailbox Paper Pic. Ink edges of patterned paper piece with Frayed Burlap.
- 8. After inking, clean craft sheet. Place inked Paper Pics images onto craft sheet. To create snowfall effect, either spritz each image with water (for smaller dots) or dip fingers into water dish and flick water drops over surface of images (for larger dots). Keeping images level, place paper towel over them and press down to blot water until all water is removed; do not rub. Remove paper towel. Repeat water technique if needed. When pleased with effect, gently dry images with heat tool if needed.
- 9. Using adhesive runner, center and adhere red cardstock panel to back of patterned paper label. Adhere layered piece to center of card.
- 10. Place pine bough die cut inside cardboard box and spray back side with adhesive. Adhere shape over lower edge of layered papers.
- 11. Apply four large and two small foam squares to back of large Mailbox Paper Pic; remove backing and adhere to patterned paper label.
- 12. Repeat Step 11 to adhere small Mailbox Paper Pic to card as shown.
- 13. Adhere red nailhead sticker to center top of patterned paper label.
- 14. To finish inside of card, cut 5-1/8"x8-1/8" white paper panel; score and fold paper. Using adhesive runner, apply 3/4"-long line of adhesive to inside front of card near fold. Center folded paper inside card and press card closed to secure liner.
- 1. Paper Pics image is included as part of a set, but may also be ordered by the sheet. To order, email email@example.com or phone 608-206-6987.