Rustic Suitcase Card Box
Rustic Suitcase Card Box
- Small vintage trunk/suitcase
- Purple fabric
- Firm cotton batting
- Foam core board, 1/4” thick
- Recollections Adhesive Glitter Alphas: c, a , r, d, s
- Cardstock: charcoal, black
- Silver metal eyelets, 3/16”
- Brown leather cording, 2mm, 1-1/2 yds.
- Purple ribbon: 1-1/2”-wide, 1 yd.; 5/8”-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Fabric trim, 1/2”-wide
- Embellishments: beads, charms, tag, etc.
- Hole punch, 3/16”
- Eyelet setter tool
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Acrylic paints: black, charcoal, medium brown, dark brown
- Metallic rub-on paint: silver, antique gold, dark brown, charcoal
- Adhesives: fabric, paper
- scissors, craft knife, ruler, paper cutter, paintbrushes, sandpaper, soft cloth, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. On covered work surface, paint outside of trunk and inside edges black. Paint handle medium brown. Lightly drybrush trunk, including handle, charcoal and dark brown. Let dry. Lightly sand edges of trunk to distress finish.
- 2. Rub metallic silver and antique gold on embossed areas of trunk for metallic look. Rub dark brown metallic on other embossed areas of trunk to look like leather. Rub dark brown metallic and charcoal on handle. Let dry.
- 3. Cover inside of trunk with fabric. To do this, cut rectangles from foam core to fit bottom of trunk, bottom sides of trunk, and inside trunk lid. Cut a piece of batting same size as each foam core rectangle. Cut rectangles from fabric 1" wider and longer than each foam core rectangle. Place batting and foam core rectangles on top of corresponding fabric rectangles. (Note: Batting should be between fabric and foam core with wrong side of fabric facing batting.) Wrap edges of fabric rectangles over edges of foam core; adhere using fabric glue. Trim excess fabric at corners to eliminate bulk if needed.
- 4. Adhere 1-1/2"-wide purple ribbon diagonally across inside of trunk from lid to bottom so lid will stay open. Fold 9" lengths of 5/8"-wide ribbon pieces in half; adhere ends together. Adhere ribbon ends to wrong side of foam core lid rectangle on sides, about 1/2" from top with 1" ribbon loop extended. (Note: "Cards" banner will be attached to ribbon loops.) Adhere fabric-covered foam core inside trunk using fabric glue. Adhere fabric trim around top edge of fabric-covered rectangles inside bottom of trunk.
- 5. For each letter in "cards", cut black cardstock 3-1/2" tall by 1/2" wider than each letter. Cut rectangle from charcoal cardstock 1/4" taller and wider than black rectangle for each letter. Adhere black rectangles centered on top of charcoal rectangles using paper glue. Machine-sew around black rectangles 1/8" from edges; overlap stitching at end. Rub brown ink on edges of cardstock rectangles using soft cloth. Punch holes in top corners of black rectangles; attach metal eyelets using eyelet setter. Adhere "cards" to bottom of assembled cardstock rectangles.
- 6. Insert leather cording in and out of metal eyelets on "cards". Insert ends of cording through ribbon loops inside trunk lid; knot around ribbon to secure "cards" banner.
- 7. Decorate box with personalized tag with the newlyweds' info, beaded charms, or other embellishments.
- 1. To drybrush trunk, dip a dry bristle brush in paint, wipe excess off on a paper towel until brush is almost dry, then wipe brush back and forth on surface of trunk.