Slip these little lantern covers over ordinary mini-lights - they're quick-to-make, inexpensive, and can be customized to fit any occasion!
- Mini-light strand
- Pastel vellum, assorted colors
- 1. Cut 2-1/2"x4" rectangle from paper for each light bulb. Fold in half to measure 1-1/4"x4". Cut evenly spaced slits, 1/4" to 1/2" apart, along folded edge, stopping 1/8" from open edge (Fig. 1).
- 2. Open rectangle. Use hot glue gun to glue short edges together, forming cylinder.
- 3. Cut small strip for handle. Adhere one handle end inside upper lantern edge. Position lantern over light bulb and adhere remaining handle in place.
- Other Options
- 1. Try ultra-thin metal sheets for more durable outdoor lanterns.
- 2. Seasonal options might include: alternating red and green lanterns; orange pumpkins with green handles and black triangle eyes; red, white, and blue lanterns with streaming ribbons. Get creative!