1. Measure inside dimensions of drawer; draw smaller, to-scale sketch of dimensions on scrap paper. Plan desired dimensions of cork and chalk foam board areas. Write dimensions on sketch. Measure and mark boards accordingly with pencil. (Note: Due to difference in thickness, two same-size chalkboard panels are necessary.)
2. Using metal ruler, cut boards along drawn lines with craft knife on mat. Score lightly first, then press more firmly to cut deeper. This may take several passes. Replace blades as necessary. Fit pieces in drawer to check size, stacking chalk panels together for height; remove.
3. Wrap garland around cork panel vertically; adhere to back using glue pen. Adhere cork panel inside drawer using glue pen.
4. Adhere first chalk panel in drawer to right of corkboard using glue pen. Adhere second panel atop first, with chalkboard side out. Let dry overnight, pressed flat weighted with books.
5. Remove shanks from buttons with pliers. Adhere buttons to pushpins with craft glue; let dry.
6. Write notes on chalkboard with chalk; hang messages with pushpins.