This idea was originally published in our 2016 Winter issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
*tip: There is no need for primer if you use a palm sander to remove logo imprint from paint stir sticks. The wooden pieces can be stained instead of painted.
1. Lay out paint stir sticks with logo side up on newspaper or cardboard in a well-ventilated area. Spray logo-printed side of stir sticks with Primer Grey; let dry.
2. Separate embroidery hoops into two pieces and use the two outside pieces with the screw hardware. Tighten embroidery hoop hardware all the way and cover hardware with painter’s tape. Hot glue square end of paint stir sticks to inside bottom edge of 8” embroidery hoop at the 12 o’clock, 6 o’clock, 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock marks. Hold each stir stick in place, angled outward, until adhesive is fully cooled. Fill in between with remaining eight stir sticks.
3. Secure 10” embroidery hoop to stir stick necks with hot glue. Make sure to hold each stick in place until adhesive is fully cooled.
4. Place basket on top of Styrofoam disc and trace around the inside. Cut out Styrofoam with Styro Cutter, insert into bottom of basket and adhere with tacky glue. Let dry overnight.
5. Base coat all surfaces Dark Chocolate; let dry. Apply second coat if necessary.
6. To give completed basket a vintage look, randomly dry brush with Asphaltum, then Fawn, then Russet.