Terra cotta clay pot, 2”, 4”
Wooden ball, 1¾”
Craft foam: blue, white
Chenille stems: blue, three; tan, one
White boa, 3”
American flag toothpick
Blue ribbon, 5/8”x7”
Blue stars ribbon, ¼”x16
Red glitter ribbon, 3/8”x2½”, 12
DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Flesh Tone, Lamp Black, Primary Blue, White Wash
Red chalk or blush
Markers: bold red, fine black
Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Summer issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Print full-size patterns and cut from craft foam.
2. Paint ball Flesh Tone. Turn both pots upside down and paint White Wash. Paint top 1½” of 4” pot Primary Blue and let dry.
3. Adhere red glitter ribbon evenly spaced on bottom of 4" pot. Use red marker to draw vertical stripes around 2" pot.
4. On head, rub red chalk into cheeks. Draw smile with black marker. Dip end of paintbrush into Lamp Black and dot two eyes; let dry. Adhere boa to top of head and beard to face as shown. Adhere head to body.
5. Adhere 7½” blue star ribbon around waist. Coil two blue chenille stems around pencil and slip onto 7” of third blue stem. Cut two 2” pieces of tan stem and form loop and wrap around ends of straight blue stem. Pull blue coils down to hands. Adhere middle of blue stem to pot behind head. Place American flag toothpick through hands and adhere in place. Adhere top of arms to pot as shown.
6. Adhere hat to blue foam circle. Adhere 7” blue star ribbon to 7” blue ribbon and adhere around hat. Adhere hat to head. Adhere feet to bottom of pot.