Mason jars with wide-mouth lid, three
Jute, natural color, 5½ yds.
Assorted seashells and starfish, 1”-3”, 20
FloraCraft Design It: SimpleStyle White Sand with Glitter
FloraCraft Make It: Fun Foam Block, 1”x2”x2”, three
Design Master TintIT Multi-Use Transparent Dyes: Sapphire, Jade, Chartreuse
Adhesive shelf liner, 1 ft.
Circle template, 3½”
Large cardboard box (for spraying)
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Summer issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Trace 3½” circle on shelf liner and cut with scissors.
2. Clean and dry inside and outside of jar. Remove backing from cut shelf liner and adhere onto upside down jar, 1¼” from top. Firmly press all around edges. In a well-ventilated and newspaper-covered area, lightly spray all sides of jar. Let dry.
3. Peel off shelf liner sticker by pulling from top down to reveal clear circle on jar. Discard circle sticker.
4. Cut 1”x2”x2” piece of foam using serrated knife. Adhere flat onto inside of lid with glue gun. (This will prevent shells from sinking down into sand.)
5. Turn jar upright and make sure inside is dry. Add sand until it’s 1½” deep. Gently insert one large shell or starfish, two-three medium and three small shells into jar. Put lid onto jar and tighten securely. Carefully and slowly turn over jar, allowing sand and shells to move to the bottom of the overturned jar. Look through clear circle and gently move jar to shift sand and shells into desired position.
6. Adhere twine in a single layer around edge of lid. Fold 8” length of jute in half and tie an overhand knot 1” in from fold. Untwist ends to fray. Adhere knot to jute on lid edge as shown. Repeat for other jars using other colors of TintIT.