knife, toothpicks, paper clip, paper towel, ruler, small spoon, scissors
1. Use knife to trim off block's four corners to form ball shape. Trim off each of those eight corners to shape block into cylinder.
2. Carve away edges as though you're peeling an apple. Continue trimming and rotating, until shaped like ball. Smooth with paper towel and hands.
3. Gently cut ball in half. Smooth cut edges by rubbing together in circular motion. Use paper towel and finger to round edges. Each half will make one ornament.
4. Lightly mark circle on flat surface of ball half using 3" circle template and sharpened dowel. Use dowel to draw u-shaped scallops all around inside of marked circle. Cut scallops deeper, going 1/8"-1/4" into foam.
5. Lightly draw letters of baby's name around top of ornament and "1st Christmas" and year around bottom using toothpick. Lightly rub with fingers to erase any accidental marks. Trace over letters with dowel.
6. Scoop out inside scalloped area with small spoon 1/8"- 1/4" deep. Smooth area with paper towel and fingers, without accidentally sanding away scalloped edge.
7. Position buttons and use toothpick to trace around each one. Gently remove traced buttons using dowel. Rub ornament with finger to smooth. When satisfied, dust off recessed areas and surface with chisel brush.
8. Paint entire ornament Warm White, going into letters without leaving extra paint in them. Let dry.
9. Bend large paper clip back and forth until it breaks. Insert cut ends of larger half straight down into top of ornament, about 1/2" from front of ornament, leaving 1/2" loop extended above foam. Adhere buttons into their positions.
10. Use small brush to paint Carousel Pink inside each letter. When dry, touch up edges as needed with Warn White. Let dry. Apply coat of Crystal Twinkles to create glittered look. Let dry.
11. Make six-loop bow with pink ribbon and secure center with wire. Use 1½" extra ribbon piece to wrap around wire and adhere to back of bow. Hot glue bow to base of paper clip. Thread thin white ribbon through paperclip loop, knot, and hang. Trim pink ribbon ends as needed.
12. Use 2-1/2" circle punch to cut baby photo. Apply small amount of glue to center of foam and press in place.
1. Take second foam ball piece from Step 3 of Baby's 1st ornament and smooth cut edges by rubbing together in circular motion.
2. Draw circles side-by-side at an angle on flat surface of foam ball half using 1-1/2" circle template. Firmly hold template with one hand and trace circles with more pressure, going 1/8"- 1/4" deep. Remove template. Hollow out circle following Step 6 from baby's 1st without scallops. Repeat with other circle.
3. Refer to Step 5 from Baby's 1st to write names, year, and words, adding swirls if desired. When satisfied, dust off area and paint entire ornament Traditional Burnt Umber. Drybrush front of ornament mix of Dazzling Metallics + Splendid Gold with large flat across tops of letters. Leave back of ornament brown. Apply Gold Twinkles Writer on front surface. Let dry.
4. Make two-loop gold bow, insert paper clip half into ornament, and adhere gold cord for hanger. Cut two 1-1/2" circle photos and adhere. Hot glue heart to bow center and to front of ornament.
1. Balsa-Foam is very easy to carve, which means it can be accidentally gouged or marred. Trim fingernails and handle carefully. After painting or applying a finish, Balsa-Foam is less easily marred.
2. To smooth, use another scrap of Balsa-Foam or use paper towel as you would sandpaper. For very fine smoothing, rub with small scrap of fabric or with your fingers.