Faux Wooden Pallet Clock
The Dow Chemical Co.
size: 10" diameter
Faux Wooden Pallet Clock
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam, 12”x12”
- Tan felt, 1/3 yd.
- Wooden dowel, 36” length
- Clock movement kit with battery
- Hanger of choice
- DecoArt Americana Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint
- Spackling compound
- Clear acrylic spray sealer
- Adhesives: tacky craft glue, hot glue gun with sticks
- clear acrylic ruler, scissors, pencil, box cutter or serrated knife, wire cutters, palette knife, paintbrush, paper towels, paper plate or palette, container of water, sandpaper, screwdriver, circle template or plastic bowl, 10” diameter
- 1. Center 10" circle template or plastic bowl on foam sheet; trace around outside, scoring foam. Cut out circle using box cutter or serrated knife. Lightly sand and smooth edges with piece of scrap foam. Cut foam circle into five 2"-wide slats. Position clear ruler on top of foam; cut along outside line, scoring halfway through foam. Cut completely through foam on ends; snap pieces apart. Cut nine 2" lengths of dowel using wire cutters; set aside.
- 2. Add enough water to spackling paste to achieve melted ice cream consistency; paste should spread easily but not run. Spread spackling on fronts and sides of all foam slats; let dry. Sand pieces smooth on fronts and sides using sandpaper. Wipe off excess dust.
- 3. Carve wood grooves and scars into spackled surface. Punch hole for clock shaft from front to back in center of longest slat using screwdriver. In center back of same slat, trace around clock box; remove foam from area. Paint sides and fronts of slats Burnt Umber. Let dry slightly; wipe off outer layer of paint with damp paper towel for lightly-stained look.
- 4. Position slats face-up on work surface. Punch two dowel starter holes in straight side of left slat; position evenly-spaced between top and bottom of clock. Spot glue hole using glue gun; insert dowel into hole about 1" deep. Repeat for second hole. Line up left slat with next slat; press left slat into second, making indentations into left side of second slat with dowels. Punch starter holes in indentations. Spot glue hole and push pieces together, inserting dowels into holes, aligning top and bottom.
- 5. Repeat Step 4, using three dowels to attach left side of clock face to center slat. Continue assembling clock face using two dowels each time. Spray clock face with sealer; let dry.
- 6. Position assembled clock on tan felt; trace around edges. Cut out felt circle; adhere to back of clock. Cut away fabric from area behind clockworks.
- 7. Insert clockworks and assemble following manufacturer's instructions. To hang, attach hanger of choice on back top of clock.