scissors, paper towels, bucket measuring spoons, petroleum jelly or cooking spray, foam brush, spray bottle or sponge, craft knife, old or promo credit card, oven
1. Make mosaic stepping stone following manfacturer's instructions on kit. Let cure 48 hours.
2. Apply two coats of Mod Podge to surface of stepping stone, avoiding mosaic glass. Let dry completely.
3. To create song lyrics, open blank 8-1/2"x11" document in word processing software on computer; insert 7"x8" text box. Type quote in box, repeating to fill. Change font style of each line to add visual interest. Justify text so it fills text box and is flush on both sides. Reverse text to print mirror image. Select text box; choose "format" option. In "shape styles" option, make sure box has no fill and no outline. In "word art styles," click "text effects," and "3D Rotation," options, then change "x-axis rotation" to 180°. Print four copies. Save document in case more copies are needed.
4. Leave one printed sheet whole. On another sheet, trim off left side and align printed words with whole sheet to form complete sentences; tape in place along paper edge. (Note: Do not tape over printed words.) Trim third sheet along top and right edges; trim fourth sheet along top and left edges. Align sheets and adhere as before. Adhere all sheets together in four-block pattern. Flip block over; securely tape all seams on back side.
5. Flip four-block pattern face up. Position stone mold on block; trace outline of mold using pencil. Cut out circle.
6. Repeat Step 3, creating 2-1/2"x6" text block to fit beneath branch. (Note: If different mosaic pattern was chosen, adjust documents to fit design.) Trim printed box; position right side facing up on four-block pattern. Adhere to four-block pattern using double-sided tape.
7. Apply thick layer of Mod Podge to printed side of four-block pattern using foam brush.
8. Position printed sheet, with wet side down, onto stone. Smooth paper onto stone and push out air bubbles using old credit card. Bake stone in 170° oven for 20 minutes; let cool completely.
9. Wet paper with spray bottle or sponge until semi-transparent.
10. Using fingers, gently rub paper from stone to reveal design. (Note: Rubbing too hard may remove wording from stone.) Once all paper is removed, let stone dry for 10 minutes. (Note: As paper dries, any missed areas will become more visible. Dampen area and remove as before.) If words transferred to surface of glass, gently remove using craft knife.
11. Apply sealer to stone to protect from outdoor elements.
1. Use your own favorite quote to make this stone even more special. The quote used in this project is from Victor Hugo: "Be like the bird who, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing she hath wings."