Faux Wood Gift Box
Craft marketing Connections, Inc.
Faux Wood Gift Box
- Make It: Fun Diorama Kit*
- Design It: SimpleStyle Embellishments*: Natural Burlap Garland, 6”; Jute Twine, 14”; White Glittered Organza, 2 yds.;
- Silk flowers, one sprig each: white baby’s breath, sage green hydrangea
- Tools*: Make It: Fun Foam Tools; Design It: Wire Cutter and Floral Shears
- Make It: Fun Smooth Finish*, 8 oz. jar, 3-4
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Graphite, Neutral Gray, Dove Gray, Warm White
- Adhesives: Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue, glue gun with sticks
- * Products available from FloraCraft
- toothpicks, yardstick, sample piece of wood or paneling to copy grain, paintbrushes: liner, wash, palette, paper towels, water
- 1. Review manufacturer's instructions for diorama box. Lay panels on work surface. Apply Smooth Foam to thick bottom panel of box using knife from tools kit. Spread foam lengthwise to simulate wood grain. Press foam into foam crevices, but allow it to ripple and create texture as well as leave some on surface.
- 2. Carve thick and thin lines in Smooth Foam using scribe tool, copying pattern from sample wood. (Note: Smooth over any undesirable lines with knife and draw again.) Let dry, then repeat on opposite side of panel. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 with all foam panels.
- 3. Brush off any foam crumbs from thick bottom panel. Mix Neutral Gray + touch of Graphite on palette; thin with water to cream consistency. Apply into all carved lines using liner. Let dry.
- 4. Thin Neutral Gray with water to cream consistency. Apply to top surface of panel using wash. Fully cover surface and edges, but avoid going into carved lines. Let dry.
- 5. Thin Dove Gray with water to cream consistency. Drybrush surface of panel with grain, scrubbing wash brush across surface. Keep brush parallel to surface so bristles don't go touch carved areas. Remove excess paint with dry paper towel; remove paint from unwanted areas with damp paper towel. Let dry. Reapply using drybrush technique if needed. Let dry completely.
- 6. Drybrush Warm White onto highest raised areas using wash, blending with paper towel to highlight. Let dry; apply additional coat if needed. Darken edges of panel using thinned Neutral Gray or mixture from Step 3. Blend well.
- 7. Repeat Steps 3-6 for both sides of all panels. Let dry completely. Assemble box following manufacturer's instructions using tacky glue and toothpicks.
- 8. Cut 6' length of organza; wrap around box and knot at front center. Trim organza as necessary and cut notches in both ends. Cut heart shape from burlap; adhere over knot using tacky glue. Wrap flower sprigs with twine; tie in bow. Adhere to center of burlap heart.
- 1. Change look of box by using browns and tans instead of gray acrylic paints. Add drybrushed accents of color over "wood" to simulate peeled paint.