Wild Wine Glasses
Wild Wine Glasses
- Wine glasses of choice
- Flat-backed rhinestones
- FM Dynasty Black Gold Paintbrushes: Series 206R Round #2, Series 206L Liner 5/0, Series 206FW Flat Wash 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Enamel Paints: Gloss Black, White 3-D Frost Gloss, Black Glass Chalkboard
- Hammerhead America Glass Bond Adhesive
- rubbing alcohol, cosmetic sponges, white chalk, paper towels or soft cloth, toothpick, tweezers, pencil, baking sheet, oven
- 1. Wash glasses in hot soapy water. Just before painting, wipe glasses with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Avoid touching areas to be painted. Run piece of painter's tape evenly along rim of glasses. Burnish lower edge of tape with finger pressure.
- 2. Load short flat end of sponge with small amount White 3-D Frost paint. Stipple paint onto bowl of glass, keeping wet edge and working to cover bowl as evenly as possible. Use clean side of sponge to tap over wet areas to soften if desired. Finished glass will have semi-transparent frosted look. Remove tape carefully when fully dry. Remove any fingerprints with rubbing alcohol. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake glasses in oven to cure paint. Let cool thoroughly.
- 3. Use dry brushes to apply paint to glass. Load round with generous amount of Gloss Black paint. Referring to worksheet, freehand "Y" shapes diagonally on bowl. Make smaller irregular stripes to fill in between "Y" shapes using liner. Finish stripes to fine points using liner. Make thin lines randomly. Continue pattern until bowl is covered with design. Let dry several hours or overnight. Touch up any areas not fully covered as needed.
- 4. Wipe stem and foot of glass with rubbing alcohol. With new sponge, stipple chalkboard paint to cover area. Repeat two more times until fairly opaque. Apply final smooth coat of paint using flat wash brush. Let paint cure following manufacturer's instructions.
- 5. Mark circle where stem meets foot. Pick up rhinestone with tweezers, apply dab of adhesive to back using toothpick, and place on marked circle. Avoid getting excess glue on glass. Repeat until rhinestones circle stem. Let dry. Paint over any visible glue with chalkboard paint using liner.
- 6. Write names or messages on glasses with chalk. Hand wash glasses in warm water with mild soap and pat dry. Avoid soaking or scrubbing.
- 1. Nervous? Practice your technique on recycled glass jars before moving on to actual wine glasses.