Shibori Dyed Pillows
sizes: 14"x14", 12"x16"
Shibori Dyed Pillows
- Dunroven House White Dishtowels, 20”x28”
- Natural white canvas fabric, 1/8 yd.
- Fairfield Home Elegance Pillow Inserts: 14”x14”, 12”x16”
- Blumenthal Lansing Jeweled Buttons, two
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Bigz Petal Power Die
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mat
- Rit Liquid Dyes: Purple, Apple Green
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- straight pins, scissors, iron and pressing surface, needle and thread, plastic tablecloth, two large glass bowls, rubber gloves, measuring cups and spoons, hot water, spoon, old towels, long tongs, large bulldog clips
- 1. Wash and dry dishtowels. Use rotary cutter and cutting mat to cut two 15" squares and two 13"x17" rectangles from dishtowels.
- 2. Fold each shape accordion style (either short or long ways for rectangle). Fold accordion style until fabric shapes are small squares or rectangles. Clip all four sides with bulldog clips.
- 3. Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Wearing gloves, prepare dye baths in glass bowls. Mix 2 cups of hot water with 6 Tbsp. of dye in each bowl. Place folded fabric in each bowl and let soak for five minutes. Stir dye mixtures thoroughly using spoon. Remove shapes with long tongs. Rinse shapes under cool water to remove excess dye. Remove clips and continue rinsing. Place shapes on old towels to remove excess water. Let dry.
- 4. When dry, position and pin two squares or two rectangles together with wrong sides facing. Machine-sew along three edges, using 1/2" seam allowance. Leave bottom open for turning. Steam seams open and turn right side out. Insert pillow forms. Hand-sew bottom openings closed using whipstitch.
- 5. For each pillow, cut eight petals each from canvas using machine and petal die. Arrange larger petals on pillow; adhere using fabric glue. Arrange smaller petals on top of larger petals; adhere using fabric glue. Adhere button to center of each flower.