Homespun Advent Boxes
sizes: 3"x7"x9-3/4" (box);2-1/8"x2-1/8"x2-1/8" (ornaments)
- Rectangle box set with 24 ornaments (#28-9907) (DCC)
- Paper Pizazz Sheets, 8”x8”: Christmas (Hot Off The Press)
- Sharon Watt Cork Stickers (Creative Imaginations)
- Sequins: Spoke 5/8” (Darice); Snowflakes (Westrim Crafts)
- Crafter’s Metallic Gold paint*
- Satin Touch paints: Italian Olive; Pimento*
- Paper Finishes: Antiquing Spray; Whitewash*
- 18kt Gold Leafing Pen*
- Mod Podge matte sealer (Plaid)
- Flat brush, 1/2”
- *Products by Krylon
- 1. Untie and remove gold cording from all small boxes; set aside. Place boxes and lids upside down on newspaper. Spray light coat of Pimento on outside of 12 boxes and lids, and Italian Olive on outside of remaining 12 boxes and lids. Spray light coat of Antiquing Spray over all small boxes and lids, and then over large box and lid. Spray light coat of Whitewash over all boxes and lids. Spray light coat of Crafter's Metallic Gold over all boxes and lids; let dry.
- 2. For small lids, cut out patterned paper to fit, slightly rounding corners. Cut out desired decorative paper scraps, and cork number stickers, leaving backing attached. Arrange paper scraps, numbers, and snowflake sequins on paper square for desired look. Follow manufacturer's instructions on Mod Podge to adhere paper square to box lid; smooth with hand then brayer. Let dry. Outline lid edges with leafing pen; let dry. Adhere paper scraps to lid. Apply three coats of Mod Podge, letting dry between coats. Outline numbers with leafing pen; adhere numbers and snowflakes to lid. Repeat for all small lids, numbering from 1-24.
- 3. For large lid, cut patterned papers to form patchwork design. Trim pieces slightly smaller and arrange on lid leaving narrow border between pieces and along outside edges; use Mod Podge to adhere to lid and let dry. Cut out decorative paper scraps; adhere to lid. Apply three coats of Mod Podge, letting dry between coats. Adhere snowflake sequins to lid; let dry.
- 4. Re-thread gold cords into small boxes and lids; tie knots. Trim excess cord. Place small boxes back into large box in numeric order.
- 1. Before spraying, cover work area with newspaper. Follow manufacturer's directions for spraying and drying times.