Beach Escapes Porch Lantern
Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
Lanterns are so popular today and by using Elmer's foam board and Design Master Spray Color, you can create your own with a look that is surprisingly realistic - and at a fraction of the weight or cost!
- Elmer’s Black on Black Foam Board, one sheet each: 20”x30”x1/2”, 20”x30”x 3/16”
- FloraCraft Make It: Fun project featuring Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Ball, 4”
- Green sheet moss, approx. 8”x10”
- Old doorknob, 2-1/4” diameter
- Ivory LED candles, 3” diameter: 4”, 8”
- Fish netting, 12”x18”
- Starfish, 4”-5” diameter, four
- Bleached driftwood sticks, three
- Elmer’s X-ACTO Tools: AXENT Craft Knife, 18”x24” Self Healing Cutting Mat, 12” Metal Ruler, 8” Stainless Steel Scissors
- Design Master ColorTool Spray Color: Flat Black, Antique Gold
- Adhesives: glue gun and sticks, Elmer’s Craftbond Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive
- pencil, newspaper, cardboard box (for spraying paint)
- 1. Size is 10"x10"x15".
- Beach Escapes Porch Lantern
- 1. Use pencil, metal ruler, and craft knife on self-healing cutting mat to draw and cut four 8"x11" rectangles with 5"x8" center openings on 3/16"-thick foam board. Draw and cut two 10" squares, one 8" square, and one 6" square on 1/2"-thick foam board. (Note: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blades often.)
- 2. Use glue gun to adhere 3/16"-thick rectangles at corners like box, by adhering two opposite sides into other two opposite sides. Center on top of one 10" square; adhere together using glue gun. Without attaching to lantern, stack and adhere remaining squares, in graduating sizes, 10", 8", and 6" together. Wait to attach to lantern.
- 3. In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (or inside cardboard box), spray entire lantern and graduated foam squares Flat Black. Let dry. Spray doorknob Antique Gold. Let dry.
- 4. Carefully cut hole in top center of stacked foam board squares, large enough to insert end of doorknob, using craft knife. Secure using glue gun.
- 5. In cardboard box, spray foam ball with spray adhesive; wrap moss around foam ball, pulling away excess moss as needed. Hot glue any stray edges.
- 6. Create arrangement in lantern by draping fish netting through openings as shown. Set tall candle toward back, moss ball toward front, short candle outside lantern at front, and starfish placed randomly inside and outside lantern. Set bleached driftwood sticks behind lantern. Set graduated foam squares on top of lantern.