Pattern - Watering Can Bluebirds
- 1. Use appropriate-size flats and rounds to basecoat areas and to drybrush highlights. Use angles to float shading and highlights. Thin paint before loading brush where "sheer paint" or "washes" are called for. Use mops to soften floats and washes.
- 1. Seal board and frame. When dry, sand lightly and wipe dust. Basecoat Warm White. Print out pattern. Lightly transfer pattern, omitting birds and details on cans. Make tracing of birds and details; set aside.
- Paint Design
- 1. Dampen ground area with clean water using flat wash. Mop to soften.
- 2. Basecoat galvanized can, spouts, and trim on other cans Grey Sky. Float shading on cans and spouts Slate Grey. See Figure 1. Deepen shading with sheer floats of Graphite. See Figure 2. Basecoat trim Grey Sky using #1 round; shade in Slate Grey using dirty brush. Add touches of Graphite as needed to deepen. Drybrush Snow White highlights. Paint holes in spouts Graphite using liner. See Figure 3. Paint stripes on far left can Foliage Green using liner. Drybrush highlights Green Tea using dirty brush. Add final Snow White highlight using dirty brush.
- 3. Basecoat green can Green Tea. Float shading Foliage Green. Deepen shading with sheer floats of Graphite. Drybrush highlights down center of can, on spout, and on handle Snow White. Paint details Indian Turquoise using liner. Highlight details Snow White using dirty brush.
- 4. Basecoat blue can Spa Blue. Float shading Indian Turquoise, then deepen with floats of Indian Turquoise + touch of Graphite. Deepen shading with sheer coats of Graphite if needed. Drybrush highlights down center of can, on spout, and on handle Snow White. Paint stripes (3:1) mixture of Snow White + Razzle Berry; drybrush highlights Snow White using dirty brush.
- 5. Basecoat yellow can Butter; let dry. Wash Spicy Mustard. Float shading sheer Graphite. Paint stripes Foliage Green using liner; drybrush highlights Green Tea using dirty brush. Continuing to use dirty brush, add final Snow White highlight. Drybrush highlights down center of can, on spout, and on handle Snow White.
- 6. Transfer bird patterns. Basecoat heads and bellies Spa Blue. Basecoat wings and tails Turquoise Blue. Float shading on heads Turquoise Blue. Float sheer Razzle Berry on bellies. Drybrush highlights on wings and tails Snow White using liner. Dot eyes Graphite using stylus; let dry. Add smaller highlight dot on eyes Snow White. Paint feet and beaks Spicy Mustard + tiny touch of Graphite using liner.
- 7. Wash frame Graphite and let dry; repeat. Sand lightly to expose wood grain. Remove dust and erase graphite lines. Spray with sealer. Attach sawtooth hanger.