Pattern - Flying Bats Centerpiece
- 1. For bat bodies, use knife to cut STYROFOAM balls in half. Mix Gem-Tac with water (1:1). Cut 5/8"x9" strips from newsprint; dip in glue mixture and wrap around ball halves, overlapping ends on flat side, covering ball completely. Place ball halves on small surface (paint cap, bottle cap, etc.) to dry.
- 2. Paint bodies Lamp Black. For eyes, paint 3/4" White Wash circles on bat bodies. For eyelids, paint Lavender line across top of each eye. Use end of large paintbrush to dots each eye Pumpkin, then use end of medium paintbrush to dot Lamp Black dot inside each Pumpkin dot. Use end of small paintbrush to paint small dots around edges of eyes Cadmium Yellow. Use Lavender to paint jagged mouth and outline two teeth on each bat. Fill in teeth Olive Green. Let dry. Brush sealer on eyes, mouth, and teeth.
- 3. Print and cut out pattern. Cut six wings from fiberglass material. Bend wire lengths in half. Place wire pieces over center of wings. Twist wire under wings, forming small loop around wings. Wrap wire piece around bat bodies and twist ends together under body at center. Use pliers to bends ends of wire into curly feet as shown.
- 4. Paint two dowels Cadmium Yellow, two Lavender, and two Pumpkin. Cut two 7", 11", and 15" lengths from black thread. Insert thread pieces through wire loops on top of bats and tie ends around one end of each dowel; secure knots with dab of Fabri-Tac.
- 5. Fill vase with candy corn (or hard candy of choice). Place dowels into vase, anchored in candy.