Gifts 1-2-3: Aviary Home Décor
The Dow Chemical Company
sizes: egg, 6" tall; wall art and collage, 12"x12"
Aviary Home Décor
- FOR ALL THREE PROJECTS:
- Styrofoam Brand Foam: eggs, 2-1/2” and 6” tall; sheets, 1”x12”x36” and 1/2”x12”x36”
- Grapevine wreath, 6” across
- Mini nest, 4” across
- Spanish moss
- Small twigs
- Cream cardstock
- Patterned: cream stripe; light teal distressed; cream aged text
- Tissue: solid white; solid natural; cream/teal print
- White paper shred
- Birds & Nests Carte Postale post card (Cavallini & Co.)
- More Ephemera! Collage Images with CD (Design Originals)
- Trims, 1/4”-wide, 1/2 yd. each: cream lace; white vintage lace; metallic gold ribbon
- White vintage buttons, three
- Acrylic paints (Delta Ceramcoat): Light Victorian Teal; Burnt Umber; Butter Cream; Black; Gold Metallic
- Metallic Gold spray paint (Krylon)
- Natural Beeswax (Yaley)
- Tim Holtz Collection Flourish #1160 stamp (Stampers Anonymous)
- Ink pads: VersaMark (Tsukineko); Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Scattered Straw, Tea Dye, Weathered Wood (Ranger)
- Creative HotMarks Hot Tool (Walnut Hollow)
- Cosmetic sponges
- Paintbrushes: large flat; sponge
- Plastic palette
- Large white ball-head pins, two
- Craft wire and wire cutters
- Utility knife with new blade
- Computer and color printer
- Adhesives: paper glue; Aleene’s Instant Decoupage Matte Medium (ILovetoCreate, formerly Duncan Enterprises); Matte Medium (Golden)
- Wall Art
- 1. Cut 12" square from foam sheet using utility knife and straightedge. Adhere striped paper to front and back of foam. Cut 1"x12" striped strips and glue to edges. Cut 6"x12" teal piece and glue to top half of square.
- 2. Cut script paper 1/2" larger all around than post card; sponge edges Scattered Straw. Using fingertip or sponge, apply very small amount of gold metallic paint to script corners. Cut cardstock 1/4" larger all around than script paper; sponge all Distress Inks onto cardstock edges working from lighter to darker.
- 3. Adhere postcard, script paper and cardstock together and to foam block. Adhere lace trim as shown. Apply very small amount of gold metallic paint to edges of block; let dry.
- Egg Ornament
- 1. Tear white tissue paper into small pieces. Using flat brush, apply découpage medium onto 6" foam egg. Apply one layer of tissue to egg; let dry. Paint egg Light Victorian Teal; let dry.
- 2. Dilute Butter Cream paint with water to very thin consistency; paint over egg and immediately wipe away excess with paper towel. Repeat with Burnt Umber. Dip brush tip in undiluted Burnt Umber and "spatter" over egg by running thumbnail across bristles for speckled look; let dry.
- 3. Use fingertip or sponge to rub small amounts of gold metallic paint over egg. Glue vintage lace around egg center. Tie metallic ribbon bow and loop; glue and pin loop, then bow, to top of egg for hanger.
- 4. Place nest inside wreath; secure with wire, if needed. Spray paint nest/wreath and paper strips Metallic Gold; let dry. Fill nest with paper strips and place egg on top.
- Collage Shrine
- 1. Cut 2-1/2" foam egg in half lengthwise using utility knife; set aside one half for future project. Cut 12" square from 1"-thick foam sheet.
- 2. Cut a 4-1/4"x8-1/2" rectangle from 1/2"-thick foam sheet. Mark center top short edge of rectangle and each vertical side 1-1/2" down from top. Connect points to create triangular "roof" for birdhouse shape; cut on lines. Draw a line around inside edge of birdhouse 1/2" from edges. Cut on line to create birdhouse "frame."
- 3. Tear tissue papers into small pieces and randomly adhere one layer of tissue to all foam pieces using Matte Medium.
- 4. Print written letter paper, alphabet and number strip from ephemera CD. Adhere to large foam block using Matte Medium; let dry.
- 5. Glue birdhouse frame to center of foam block above number strip; birdhouse should be closer to top edge than bottom. Paint inside area and inner frame edges Light Victorian Teal. Lightly sponge block edges with same paint; let dry.
- 6. Enlarge and print birdhouse image from CD to 4-1/4"-wide. Trim and adhere image to top of foam birdhouse using paper glue.
- 7. Paint tissue-covered egg Butter Cream; let dry. Dip brush tip in Black paint and "spatter" over egg by running thumbnail across bristles for speckled look; let dry.
- 8. Ink stamp with VersaMark ink. Following manufacturer's instructions, melt beeswax onto entire collage using Creative HotMarks Tool. Using Transfer Point, hold beeswax against point, melting onto collage. Immediately impress rubber stamp into melted wax. Wait a few seconds and remove rubber stamp from collage.
- 9. Melt more beeswax onto collage and immediately apply white buttons as shown; beeswax will act as adhesive.
- 10. Tie small bunch of twigs together with twine and adhere to side of birdhouse frame with Matte Medium. Adhere moss inside bottom edge of frame with Matte Medium.
- 11. Sponge Tea Dye ink onto edges of collage and stamped areas of beeswax.