Pattern - Welcome to my Garden
- 1. Apply one coat sealer on both sides of wood and metal hanger. Lightly sand wood plaque and wipe dust.
- 2. Use mix of Lt. Grey + Cerulean Blue (2:1) to base both sides of plaque and hanger. Let dry. Apply second coat and let dry again. Lightly sand plaque only; wipe dust.
- 3. Print out pattern. Lightly transfer basic details, omitting "accessory" strokes (filler strokes and vines) at this time.
- Color Chart
- 1. Yellow: Hansa Yellow + Diarylide Yellow (1:1)
- 2. Lt. Yellow: Yellow mix + Warm White (1:2)
- 3. Dk. Yellow: Yellow Oxide + Quinacidone Violet (1:1)
- 4. Blue: Ultramarine Blue + Phthalo Blue + Warm White (1:1:1)
- 5. Lt. Blue: Blue mix + Warm White (1:4 or 5)
- 6. Dk. Blue: Ultramarine Blue + Phthalo Blue + Warm White (1:1:tch)
- 7. Pink: Quinacidone Violet + Warm White + Lt. Blue mix (1:1:tch)
- 8. Lt. Pink: Pink mix + more Warm White
- 9. Dk. Pink: Quinacidone Violet
- 10. Green: Yellow mix + Blue mix + Warm White (1:1/2:tch)
- 11. Lt. Green: Green mix + Warm White (1:2)
- 12. Dk. Green: Yellow mix + Blue mix (1:1/2)
- Step 1
- 1. Use water and light value mixes to base flowers, leaves, stems, and ribbon, using shape following strokes; use filbert for flowers, leaves, and ribbon, and use liner or round brush for stems. Apply second coat if needed.
- Step 2
- 1. Apply thin layer Extender over surface. Dress angular brush with Extender and side-load with appropriate dark value mixes to shade and separate flower petals; make a small "C" stroke for flower centers. Use Dk. Green mix to shade leaves at base and in center vein area; wipe brush and with chisel edge stroke center leaf vein.
- Step 3
- 1. Use Dk. Green mix to shade stems where shaded by leaf or flower petal. Use hair dryer to force dry. Apply thin layer Extender over surface and use light value mixes to highlight petals and leaves. For ribbon, shade with Dk. Yellow mix and highlight with Lt. Yellow mix + more Warm White. Force dry. Apply Extender over surface. Repeat light and dark applications to add filler leaves and calyx.
- Step 4
- 1. Use colors on palette to add tints to leaves, flowers, stems, and ribbon. Reinforce flower centers. Use tip of liner to dot Yellow Oxide and Warm White stamens.
- 2. Add more Cerulean Blue to background basecoat color to darken background. Then add Glazing Medium + water (1:1) for a semi-transparent color and use liner to add filler strokes and vines.
- 3. Use compass to mark 1"-wide border; dip one edge of wedge sponge or petifore sponge with darkened background basecoat color and paint border keeping slightly transparent. Paint cut edge with same color and sponge applying second coat for more opaque coverage. Force dry. Thin paint with water and spatter surface omitting border.
- 1. Apply three varnish coats.