1. Remove existing hardware from door. Fill all holes and cracks with wood filler. Let dry. Sand door to remove finish and to smooth. (Note: Removing all stain is not necessary as door will be painted.) Seal with All Purpose Sealer.
2. For mail holder, sand wood pieces smooth; wipe dust. Use wood glue to glue 1/2" thick wood piece perpendicular to bottom of 1/4" thick wood piece; clamp to secure. Let dry. Hammer in carpet tacks as added security and for decoration.
Side view of Letter Holder
Backside of Letter Holder
Front of Letter Holder
3. Determine placement of decorative hooks at bottom of panel and knob at side of panel; mark and drill holes through panel at positions. Position mail holder at lower right side of panel; clamp to hold in place and draw a line around mail holder to mark position. Remove clamp. Mark two drill holes centered in drawn area; drill holes through panel.
4. Use 2" brush to base recessed panel with chalkboard Slate Grey paint following manufacturer's directions. Paint border (panel) with two or more coats Island Sand. When last coat dries, apply Crackle Medium as directed. Let dry overnight. Paint goblet Charcoal.
5. Print out pattern. Transfer leaf pattern on border using photo as guide; reverse pattern or use portion of pattern as needed. Transfer one leaf motif onto goblet.
1. The sealer will prevent old stain or paint from bleeding into new paint. If stain is very dark and more apt to bleed out, consider using JoSonja's Tannin block sealer.
1. For maximum performance when painting with supreme script, it is necessary to fully load brush to ferrule with paint that is thinned to inky consistency. Be sure "belly" of brush is filled with paint. Pull strokes while holding brush in upright position; do not bend bristles at tip.
1. Determine which leaves will be painted solid; fully load fl at brush with Charcoal to paint. For open leaf designs, fully load script liner with Charcoal; outline leaves, and line veins and stems. Use same brush and Island Sand to paint leaf motif on goblet and to paint vein lines on solid leaves. Allow to dry 24 to 48 hours.
1. Use jumbo wash to apply several varnish coats following manufacturer's direction.
1. Position knob and hooks over predrilled holes; use provided screws to attach to panel from behind. Insert dry wall screws through back of pre-drilled mail holder holes until points show through; position holder in place and fasten to panel. Insert screw hooks at top to hang.