Ornamental Mouldings Wooden Furniture Appliqué Moulding, in design of choice
Blumenthal Lansing LeBoutin Jewelry Button
White computer paper
Hanger of choice
Computer, photo editing software, inkjet printer
DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Snow White, Lamp Black
Beacon Adhesives: Premium Tacky Glue, Fast Finish Decoupage
paintbrush, sanding block, soft cloth, wax candle, scissors, foam brush, hand towel, black marker, newspaper (to cover work surface)
1. Sand all wooden pieces thoroughly and wipe with soft cloth. On covered work surface, paint plaque and furniture appliqué Lamp Black. Let dry. Randomly rub candle across surface of wooden pieces. Paint wooden pieces Snow White. Lightly sand surface to reveal distressed areas.
2. Use computer and photo editing software to type letters for "The," surname, and names of family members in font of choice. Make sure letters are "flipped horizontally" and sized appropriately before printing. (Note: Designer used Microsoft Paint to type letters and inserted as image into Word document in "Times New Roman" font for surname and Script font for "the" and family member names.) Print images on computer paper using inkjet printer.
3. Cut out words using scissors and position with right side down on surface of plaque. Use foam brush and découpage medium to coat pieces thoroughly. Let dry overnight if possible.
4. Wet small portion of hand towel. Starting at one corner, gently rub away paper, taking care not to rub off image. Wipe excess paper from plaque. (Note: Use black marker to fill in areas of image removed when rubbing off paper.)
5. Use tacky glue to adhere wooden appliqué to top of plaque. Cut shank off back of button using wire nippers. Adhere button on center of wooden appliqué using tacky glue. Let dry.
6. Attach hanger of choice on back of plaque.
1. Visit your local home improvement or hardware store for a variety of wooden furniture appliqué mouldings.