Copper Raku Flowerpot
Copper Raku Flowerpot
- Clay pot, any size
- Paints (Earth Safe Finishes): Perfect Paint: Black; Shimmers: Copper; Magenta; Teal; Sapphire
- Marine Varnish (Earth Safe Finishes)
- Hand and Brush Cleaner (Earth Safe Finishes)
- Creative Metal Beginner Tool Kit (Walnut Hollow)
- Metal Copper Roll (Walnut Hollow)
- Metal Tape (Walnut Hollow)
- Design Border Embossing Plate of choice (Walnut Hollow)
- Wash paintbrush (Loew-Cornell), 1”
- Medium pore sponge
- Optional: Propane torch to color copper
- 1. Basecoat pot Black. Let dry.
- 2. Dampen sponge in water; wring out well. Dip corner of sponge into small amount of shimmer paint color of choice. Dab along bottom of pot in a random, zigzag pattern. Use small amount of shimmer at a time. Add other shimmer colors in same way blending all edges. There is no right or wrong way to do this technique as long as colors are blended and soft. Let dry.
- 3. Apply 1-2 coats of varnish, letting dry between coats.
- 4. Measure around pot rim, adding 1" to measurement. Measure depth of rim, adding 1-1/2". Cut this measurement from copper. Place copper on solid surface, aligning ruler, then scribe line with small pointed tool. Cut along scribed lines. (Note: For 8" pot, two 3"-wide strips were used.)
- 5. Place copper on foam pad. Use ruler to mark, then fold in 1/2" on both long sides. If using more than one strip, tape together, end to end with 1/2" overlap.
- 6. Choose an embossing design border. Align border on metal backside center. Tape to embossing border to hold if desired. Rub side of texture tool over border to achieve outline. Use point on texture tool to rub in more detail. For added definition, turn metal over, remove embossing plate and outline with acrylic tip tool. Repeat for full length of strips.
- 7. Roll decorative design along edges using one of the rollers included in metal kit.
- 8. Color copper by gently heating with a propane torch, applying a wash of paint or allow to patina naturally over time.
- 9. Tape copper to pot, applying two or three strips around pot rim. Press embossed copper into place adding a small strip of tape to secure overlapping ends.