Pattern - Salem Flight Academy Sign
- 1. On covered work surface, apply sealer to tray using wash. Let dry. Sand lightly until smooth; wipe with soft cloth.
- 2. Mask off tray panel beside raised ends with painter's tape. Basecoat tray ends Yellow Ochre until opaque. When dry, apply single coat of Marigold. Let dry thoroughly. Distress edges with sandpaper. Stencil checkerboard pattern with Lamp Black. Mix small amount of Dark Chocolate with Antiquing Medium. Apply even coat to raised ends; let dry. Wipe stain on high areas with damp paper towel. Spray with Fixatif. Remove tape.
- 3. Mask raised tray ends with painter's tape. Basecoat paint panel Purple Wave with wash brush; let dry. Working quickly, apply thin coat of extender to entire panel. Apply thin coat of Purple wave with dirty brush. Continuing to use dirty brush, pick up small amount of Snow White. Slip slap center of panel with Snow White, working outward and fading highlight in all directions. Pick up small amount of Lamp Black on dirty brush and slip slap outer edges of panel, working inward and fading shading toward highlighted area. Mop to soften effect. Let dry. Remove tape and spray with Fixatif. Load toothbrush with slightly thinned (1:1) mixture of Yellow Ochre + Marigold. Spatter stars on background. Add larger Yellow Ochre stars using stylus. (Note: Wipe away mistakes with damp paper towels.)
- 4. Print out full-size patterns. Trace moon and bat pattern onto tracing paper. Transfer moon and lettering onto panel.
- 5. Basecoat lettering Lamp Black using round. Highlight "Flight Academy" with sheer Snow White using shader. Add shadow lines to lettering and numbers with thinned Yellow Ochre using liner.
- 6. Basecoat moon Yellow Ochre using shader. Float Marigold shading around outer edge of moon using shader. Deepen shading on right side of moon with sheer Burnt Orange. Drybrush highlight on center of moon with mixture of Snow White + touch of Yellow Ochre using filbert. Add Snow White to dirty brush; brighten highlights as desired. Transfer bat pattern. Basecoat bats Lamp Black using round.
- 7. Roll 1" ball of clay; pull and form into 9"-long snake for broomstick. Flatten one end slightly. Roll ¾" ball of clay; form into egg shape. Slightly flatten large end, shaping into straw end of broom. Cut straw texture and binding wrap into broom with craft knife. Gently press bound end of broom onto flattened end of broomstick. Let air dry. Gently coax straw broom head from handle. Basecoat straw section Marigold. Apply (1:1) mixture of Milk Chocolate + Antiquing Medium to straw. Let dry; wipe area with damp paper towel. When dry, drybrush Yellow Ochre highlights using shader. Add touch of Snow White to dirty brush; add strongest highlights. Basecoat broom handle Cocoa. Paint handle (1:3) mixture of Milk Chocolate + Antiquing Medium. Let dry.
- 8. Cut 20" wire length. Curl 6" of center around paintbrush handle. Staple ends to back of tray, wrapping end around staple. Adhere broom handle to tray panel using wood glue. Repeat for straw end, pressing onto flattened end of handle. Let dry.
- 9. Spray entire sign with sealer. Let dry.