Snow People Chess Set
sizes: board, 15"x15"; playing pieces, varies from 3/4" to 2-3/4"
Snow People Chess Set
- Wooden board, 15"x15"
- Wooden Figurines (CraftParts.com): four 2-3/4" Dimensional Trees (TR2750), four 2-1/8" Dimensional Snowmen (SN2125), six 2" Little People Girl (LP4040), two 2-3/8" Little People Dad (LP2020), 16-3/4" Dimensional Snowmen (SN0750)
- Swarovski Elements CRYSTALLIZED crystals: 3mm flat-back Blue (40 pcs.); 3mm Hotfix Clear (42 pcs.)
- White lace, two 1-1/2"x5" lengths
- Polyform Sculpey Bake Shop Clay: White
- Snowflake rubber stamps: 1", 1/2"
- Plaid FolkArt Acrylic Colors: Winter White, Forest Moss, Sky Blue, Sheer Blossom, Maple Syrup, Dark Grey, Extreme Glitter Silver
- Sewing needle and white thread
- Acrylic roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Painter's tape, 1-1/2"-wide
- Plaid Mod Podge
- scissors, ruler, pencil, aluminum foil, newspapers, paint palette, paintbrushes, foam brush, craft knife
- 1. For each set, paint two trees (rooks), two large snowmen (knights), three little people girls (bishops and queen), one little people dad (king), and eight small snowmen (pawns).
- Chess Set
- 1. Paint first set Winter White, leaving king and queen heads unpainted. Let dry on aluminum foil. Paint second set Sky Blue. Let dry on aluminum foil.
- 2. Sand wooden board and wipe clean. Paint entire board Winter White. Let dry. Apply additional coat if needed. Let dry.
- 3. Paint both queen's bodies and hats on all pawns with Extreme Glitter Silver. Let dry.
- 4. Use end of paintbrush to add Forest Moss dots on Winter White trees and Sheer Blossom dots on Sky Blue trees. Let dry.
- 5. Apply thin layer Forest Moss on small snowflake stamp and gently roll stamp onto side of Winter White bishop. Repeat for other Winter White bishop. Let dry. Apply thin layer of Sheer Blossom paint onto small snowflake stamp and gently roll onto side of Sky Blue bishop. Repeat for remaining Sky Blue bishop. Let dry. (Note: If paint layer is too thick, paint will get stuck in grooves on stamp. Lightly brush stamp with water to avoid thick paint.)
- 6. Paint Dark Grey hair on both kings and Maple Syrup hair on both queens.
- 7. Use end of paintbrush to add two Mod Podge dots on center of Sky Blue pawn; press Blue flat-backed crystal on each dot. Let set. Repeat process to adhere Clear crystals on Winter White pawns. Let set. Apply Mod Podge dots on queen's faces (for eyes); press Blue crystals on Sky Blue queen and Clear crystals on Winter White queen. Let dry.
- 8. Use ruler to find center of board. Mark center on both edges and in center of board. Turn board and repeat measurements. Draw a line down center of board and another line perpendicular to center line, forming four squares. From each center line, measure 1-1/2" from line and mark at top and bottom of board. Repeat drawing four times on each side of center line, leaving 1-1/2" on each side of board (for border). Turn board and repeat creating all boxes for board with total of 8x8 squares and 64 total squares.
- 9. Apply painter's tape on border. Paint every other box on board Sky Blue. Let dry. Position painter's tape along edge of board; paint thin Sky Blue line around squares. Let dry.
- 10. Apply thin layer Winter White onto large snowflake stamp. Stamp snowflake onto each Sky Blue square. Let dry.
- 11. For queen's capes, fold lace lengths in half. Sew straight edges together using 1/4" seam allowance; turn right side out and position folded top over queen's head. Wrap white thread around queen's neck and cape, knotting ends on front. Trim cape bottom.
- 12. For king's crowns, condition White clay and roll into 1/8"-thick sheet. Measure and cut 1/2"-wide strip and wrap into circle connecting ends. Use craft knife to cut out triangle shapes for spikes; smooth edges. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake crowns on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. Paint one crown Winter White and other crown Sky Blue. Let dry. Glue coordinating-color crown on king's head.
- 13. Apply acrylic sealer onto chess board and pieces. Let dry.