Diamond Tech Stained Glass Bits and Pieces, 20 oz. package: Primary, Brights
Jennifer’s Mosaics Sunburst Pre-Cut Stained Glass
Jennifer’s Mosaics: White Grout, 2lb; Wheeled Glass Nippers
Diamond Tech Blue Colorant, 3oz.
Spray paint, flat white
Eclectic Products E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
Newspaper or kraft paper
Latex or nitrile gloves
Measuring cup and spoon
Craft stick and mixing bowl
1. Cover work area with newspaper or kraft paper. Spray shadowbox with two coats of flat white spray paint. Let dry. Secure hanging hardware to back of shadowbox.
2. Sort stained glass pieces into piles. Design shown uses white, grey and a mix of blue hues.
3. Adhere precut sunburst to inside bottom of shadowbox.
4. Wearing safety glasses, nip large white glass pieces into rectangles and then into smaller trapezoids to create white swirls. Layout swirl design as shown and adhere when satisfied with design.
5. Nip blue glass pieces into random shapes and fill in space between white swirls. The smaller you nip the glass, the more space you can fill. Adhere pieces onto shadowbox when satisfied with design. Let dry for two hours.
6. Place shadowbox on its side and use a book to prop it up. Create blue swirls following Step 4 on interior side edge. Fill in background with white pieces. When satisfied with design, adhere pieces. Let dry for 30 minutes and repeat process on remaining three interior sides.
7. Nip remaining white and grey pieces to create swirls on top of shadowbox. Adhere pieces when satisfied with design. Nip remaining blue pieces into random shapes to fill in remaining background. Let dry for 2-3 hours before grouting.
8. Mix 3 teaspoons of blue colorant in 4 tablespoons of water. Pour colored water into 1½ cups of grout and mix until uniform color is achieved. Add more water if needed until mixture reaches a peanut butter consistency.
9. With gloved hand, smooth grout over tile and fill in crevices. Remove excess grout with your hand. Let it set for 10 minutes. Use damp sponge or paper towel to remove excess grout and haze. Let set overnight.
10. When completely dry, buff tiles with soft cloth removing grout haze.