Pattern - Mosaic Mirror Frame
- 1. Cover work area with newspaper. Position mirror base on newspaper. Mark centers of each base side and connect opposing midmarks using pencil to create "crosshairs". Repeat process on center mirror, using marker. Position mirror on base, lining up crosshairs. Adhere mirror to base; let set 10 minutes.
- 2. While mirror is setting, separate 1/2" square mirror tiles from mirror mix.
- 3. Print out full-size pattern;. Position square mirror tiles following pattern, leaving 1/8" between tiles. When satisfied with design, adhere tiles to base. Let dry for at least five minutes so tiles will not shift or move.
- 4. While square tiles are setting, cut black iridized glass into approximately 1/2" triangles using glass nippers.
- 5. Position gems at mirror corners. Dry fit black iridized glass triangles along mirror border and frame border, leaving 1/8" between tiles. When satisfied with design, adhere tiles to base. Let dry for at least five minutes so tiles will not shift or move. See Photo 1.
- 6. While black tiles are setting, cut beige glass tiles as in Step 4. Fill in remaining spaces by randomly placing beige tiles onto base, leaving 1/8" between tiles. When satisfied with design, adhere tiles to base. See Photo 2.
- 7. Let adhesive set for 30 minutes.
- 8. Mix 2 Tbsp. of colorant into 2 Tbsp. water. Mix remaining tile adhesive with grout using craft stick, then slowly add colorant mixture to grout until it reaches thick "fudge" consistency. If more water is needed, add 1/2 tsp. at a time. Continue to stir for another minute or two. (Note: Grout should be applied within 15 minutes of mixing.)
- 9. Using gloved hand, spread grout over tiled surface. Work grout into crevices between glass by moving grout in back-and-forth motion over tile surface until grout is smooth and level with glass tiles. Continue until all crevices are filled and edges are smooth. Let grout set for 15 minutes.
- 10. Dampen sponge and wipe away excess grout. Remove any grout on top surface of tiles, gems, and mirrors before it dries. Rinse sponge and repeat several times.
- 11. Buff glass, mirrors, and gems to clean shine.
- 12. Let mirror dry for 24 hours.
- 13. Position mirror face down on towel. Affix protective cork pads on corners.
- 14. Using ruler and pencil, measure and mark 1-1/2" from top and sides. At two intersection points, affix hanging hardware using screwdriver.
- 1. Never discard unused grout in the sink or down any type of drain. Always dispose of excess grout in the trash.