Carved Snowflake Display
Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
Carved Snowflake Display
- American Foam Technologies Balsa-Foam, 9”x12”x3/4”
- Wooden dowel, 9”x1/4”
- Silver candle holders, two
- White ball candles, 3”, two
- Artificial snow
- White glittered floral twigs
- Silver decorative wire balls
- Design Master Flat White Color Tool Spray
- DecoArt Americana Warm White Acrylic Paint
- Medium chisel paintbrush
- Sharpened wooden dowel
- Adhesives: white craft glue, glue gun and sticks
- craft knife, stylus, toothpicks, ruler, pencil, scissors, paper towels, old newspapers
- 1. Search online for snowflake pattern with thick lines. Size snowflake to 8" in diameter and print. Lightly shade areas that will be recessed with pencil.
- 2. Cut snowflake pattern into square. Place on foam with edges aligned. Trim off extra foam using craft knife. From scrap foam, cut 1-1/2"x3-1/2"x3/4" rectangular block and carve circle same diameter as candleholder opening; set aside.
- 3. Set pattern on foam and twist two pencils through paper and foam, avoiding patterned area. Carefully trace over lines using pointed dowel or stylus.
- 4. Remove pattern and use craft knife to trim away excess foam.
- 5. Trace impressed snowflake lines in foam with sharpened dowel, going over each line to create 1/8"-deep impressions. Gently carve out recessed areas using stylus or toothpick to create 1/4"-deep lines. Work slowly and carefully to prevent slipping or accidental scraping with fingernails.
- 6. Cut outside edges of snowflake with craft knife. Work very carefully so nothing breaks. Gently smooth with fingers and small pieces of paper towel.
- 7. Make starter hole in one small end of 1-1/2"x3-1/2"x3/4" foam block from Step 2 with pencil. Insert dowel 2" into block, making sure it's straight. Remove dowel, spot glue with glue gun, and reinsert dowel. Adhere to back of snowflake.
- 8. Spray all edges of snowflake Flat White. Do not spray directly down into recessed areas. Apply four to five coats, tinting surface white and lightening recessed areas. Spray back of snowflake, dowel, and circle for inside of candleholder. Let dry.
- 9. Apply coat of acrylic paint to raised (not recessed) areas on snowflake front for contrast. Load chisel with Warm White and lightly paint raised areas of entire snowflake design. Let dry.
- 10. Press foam circle from Step 2 into candleholder. Press dowel of snowflake into center and remove. Spot glue using glue gun; reinsert dowel, making sure it's straight. Let dry.
- 11. Apply white craft glue all over surface of second candleholder. While still wet, sprinkle generous amount of artificial snow, press down lightly, and let dry. Place candle on top. Arrange floral twigs on table with silver balls and scatter more artificial snow.
- 1. Candles are for decoration. Do not light unless you remove all artificial snow from area.
- 2. Balsa-Foam is very easy to carve, which means it can be accidentally gouged or marred. Trim fingernails and handle carefully.