Wedding Cake Centerpiece
Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
Wedding Cake Centerpiece
- Make It: Fun: Foam Shapes*: Cake Forms, 4”x8”, 4”x10”, 4”x12”; Ball, 4"
- Design It: SimpleStyle Accents*: Natural Wire Burlap Ribbon, 3 yds.; Succulent Assortments, three; Feather Pick - Peacock Assortment
- Silk flowers stems: white baby’s breath, two; white mini cosmos, one; sage green hydrangea, one
- Corsage pins
- Cake icing spatula
- Design It: Tools*: Floral Shears, Foam Cutter, Wire Cutter
- Make It: Fun Smooth Finish*, 8 oz. jar, six
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- *Products available from FloraCraft
- 1. Practice applying Smooth Foam to edge of large cake form. Apply generous amount of foam to edge and run icing spatula up and down, allowing vertical ripple to show at tip of knife. Remainder of foam should appear smooth. When reaching top, swerve knife back down, about 1/2" away from first ripple, to create second ripple. When reaching bottom, swerve knife back up to create third ripple. Continue swirling back and forth, applying foam when needed and periodically smoothing out. Leave rippled edge all around top edge of cake form.
- 2. Apply Smooth Foam to top of large cake form in same 4" long swirled ripples, but let ripples go toward center of cake and back out to edge. "Frost" in only about 4" from edge, as next cake form will sit atop this layer. Along top edge, gently, slightly flatten with palm of hand to join foam edges of top and side. Let dry completely.
- 3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to "frost" medium and small cakes forms in same fashion.
- 4. Cut burlap ribbon into following lengths using floral shears: 28", 34", 40". Fold long top edge of 28" ribbon down 3/4"; wrap around bottom edge of small layer. At seam, overlap folded ribbon edges. Adhere overlapping ribbon; secure with pins. Avoid adhering ribbon to cake forms. Repeat, wrapping ribbon around medium and large cake forms.
- 5. Cut foam ball in half using cutter; save one half for future project. Attach cut side of ball to center of small cake form using toothpicks and tacky glue. Trim stems of six large succulents to 1/2" using wire cutters. Evenly space succulents at bottom of half ball, alternating light and dark green colors. Push stems into foam; adhere with tacky glue.
- 6. Insert and adhere three two-stemmed green succulents at top of ball. Pull hydrangeas apart into sprigs; insert and adhere 10-12 sprigs among succulents. Fill in any exposed foam with cosmos and baby's breath sprigs. Insert peacock feather at top center.
- 1. Adhering burlap ribbon to itself instead of to the cake allows the cake to be "redecorated" with different ribbons and embellishments for other occasions.