- JB Wood Products Sign Board (0329), 20”x6”
- Thick cording or hanger of choice
- FM Brush Dynasty Black Gold Paintbrushes: Series 206S Shader #2, 6; Series 206R Round #4; Series 206A Angular 1/4”, 1/2”; Series 260FW Flat Wash 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”; Series 206DF Deerfoot; Series 206L Liner 10/0
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Bahama Blue, Bleached Sand, Boysenberry Pink, Coral Blush, Desert Turquoise, Dove Grey, Foliage Green, Indian Turquoise, Khaki Tan, Lemon Yellow, Ocean Blue, Purple Cow, Raw Umber, Saffron Yellow, Snow White, Whispering Turquoise; Multi-Purpose Sealer; Drying Time Extender
- Krylon: Workable Fixatif, Crystal Clear Finish Flat
- Heavy-duty stapler
- graphite paper, tracing paper, fine-grit sandpaper, painter’s tape, scissors, stylus, soft cloth, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Pattern - Shore Retreat
- 1. Apply sealer to surface using 1" wash. Sand lightly until smooth; remove dust with soft cloth. Basecoat backboard and frame Snow White. Let dry.
- 2. Print out pattern. Lightly transfer horizon line. Run painter's tape below line and inside frame edge. Basecoat sky Whispering Turquoise using wash; let dry. Apply thin coat of extender to sky. Apply coat of Whispering Turquoise using dirty brush. Pick up Snow White on dirty brush; blend in highlights horizontally beginning at horizon. Fade highlights upward into wet sky. Remove tape; let dry. Sand horizon line lightly to smooth paint line. Float clouds Snow White using 1/2" angular. Mop bottom of clouds to soften. Repeat. Lightly stipple top edges of clouds Snow White using lightly-loaded toe of deerfoot.
- 3. Transfer seagull patterns or use pattern as guide. Stroke wings Dove Grey using liner. Stroke Snow White highlights using dirty brush. Continuing with dirty brush, paint wing tips Raw Umber.
- 4. Lightly transfer sand lines. Apply tape slightly above horizon line. Apply thin coat of extender using 1/2" wash. Basecoat water (1:1) mixture of Indian Turquoise + Snow White using horizontal strokes and leaving colors slightly unblended. Add Bahama Blue shading using chisel edge of dirty brush. Wipe brush and repeat with Snow White to highlight. Let dry.
- 5. Lightly transfer white wave caps or use pattern as guide. Float white caps Snow White using 1/4" angular. Flatten and elongate top edge of white caps with chisel edge of dirty brush; let dry. Float shading under white caps thinned Desert Turquoise. Tap in strong highlights on white caps Snow White using tip of angular.
- 6. Basecoat sand brush mixture of Bleached Sand + Snow White using 3/4" wash; let dry. Make tracing of fences; set aside. Moisten sand areas with clean water using 1/2" angular. Float shading behind dunes thinned Khaki Tan. Wash tint of Coral Blush in shaded area of sand. Deepen shaded areas ultra-thin tint of Raw Umber. Float Snow White highlights in sand in front of dunes and fences.
- 7. Lightly transfer fence and umbrella patterns, omitting fence wires. Paint fence pickets Dove Grey using #2 shader. Float shading thinned Khaki Tan using 1/4" angular. Drybrush Snow White highlights using #2 shader. Lightly transfer wire pattern or use photo as guide. Paint fence wire mixture of thinned Raw Umber + touch of Khaki Tan using liner.
- 8. Transfer umbrellas, omitting details. Make tracing of details. Basecoat poles and caps Khaki Tan using liner. Drybrush highlight down center Dove Grey. Shade poles Raw Umber using dirty brush.
- 9. Basecoat umbrellas Snow White using #6 shader until fairly opaque. Lightly transfer details. Thin basecoat colors with water. Use photo as guide for color placement. For umbrella on right, wash alternating sections Coral Blush and Purple Cow. For center umbrella, wash sections Ocean Blue and Lemon Yellow. For left umbrella, wash sections Foliage Green and Boysenberry Pink. Float shading on yellow sections Saffron Yellow using 1/4" angular. For all other sections, float shading with pure form of wash color. Repeat as needed to deepen shading. Float strong highlights along bottom of umbrellas just above flaps Snow White. Drybrush highlight on center of each section Snow White using #4 round.
- 10. Using photo as guide, paint grass mixture of thinned Raw Umber + Foliage Green using liner.
- 11. Erase graphite lines. Spray with clear finish. Let dry.
- 12. Cut 24" length of cording. Staple ends to back of frame; trim.