Whimsical Garden Tote
JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores™
size: crate,17"x9"x11"; kneeling pad, 10"x18"
Whimsical Garden Tote
- Wooden crate, 17”x9”x11”
- Acrylic paint in color of choice
- Ticking, 1-1/2 yds.
- Fabric (for pockets & kneeling pad), 1-1/4 yds.
- Foam, 1” thick, 9”x17”
- Hook-and-loop tape
- Foam paintbrush
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Disappearing fabric marker
- Fabric glue
- 1. Directions are provided for a 17"x9"x11" wooden crate. Adjust as needed to fit different crate sizes.
- 1. Basecoat crate, letting dry between coats.
- 2. Cut two 18"x48" rectangles from ticking. (Note: If crate size varies, multiply height four times and add depth of crate, then add 1" for seam allowances.)
- 3. For pockets, cut two 13"x30" rectangles from fabric. (Note: If crate size varies, subtract 2" for sides, then divide by four and add 3" for each pocket, then add 1" for seam allowances.)
- 4. For kneeling pad, cut two 11"x19" rectangles from fabric. For pad handle, cut 3"x9" rectangle from fabric.
- Crate Liner & Pockets
- 1. Fold fabric in half lengthwise with right sides together and mark center. Measure in 1" on each side and draw line. Fold edge lines to center and draw line at each fold. (Note: These are sewing lines for pockets.)
- 2. Measure 1-1/2" out from each line then fold to line to make pocket; press. Repeat for all pockets.
- 3. Baste pockets along sides and bottom of short end of ticking. Stitch pockets to ticking along marked lines.
- 4. Repeat for remaining end.
- 5. With right sides of ticking rectangles together, sew using 1/2" seam allowance and leave opening for turning.
- 6. Turn right side out through opening, slip stitch opening closed and edge stitch entire cover
- Kneeling Pad
- 1. Fold handle piece in half lengthwise then fold edges to center and edge stitch both sides.
- 2. Center handle on one long edge of fabric; baste. With right sides of 11"x19" rectangles together, sew using 1/2" seam allowance and leave opening for turning.
- 3. Fold corner seams together and sew to make a 1" box. Turn inside out.
- 4. Insert foam rectangle; slip stitch opening closed.
- 5. Adhere hook-and-loop tape to pad and cover; glue or slip stitch to secure.