Puppy Love Candy Box
nvironmental Technology, Inc.
- Divided wooden memory box with recessed top
- Fabrics: Christmas-themed print, coordinating scraps
- Coordinating-color grosgrain ribbon, 3/8”-wide
- Silk tassel, 3” (if box has handle)
- Acrylic paint in coordinating color
- Environmental Technology Envirotex Lite Epoxy Finish, 8 oz. kit
- Découpage medium
- Craft glue
- scissors, pinking shears, ruler, mixing cups, disposable cups, craft sticks, gloves, plastic table cover, drinking straw, heat tool, paintbrush, foam brush
- 1. Measure recessed top and sides of box. Cut print fabric to fit each measured section, adding 1/4" to height of side measurement. (Note: If possible, cut one long strip of fabric to cover all four sides of box.) Cut additional design elements from print and solid fabrics as desired, layering them to create interest. See photo for reference.
- 2. Paint top rim areas of box; let dry completely. Prop box lid open to prevent paint from sealing lid closed.
- 3. Cover box lid with thin layer of glue. Carefully position top fabric panel and smooth into place, trimming any loose threads. Repeat process on box sides, wrapping fabric around to underside of box and adhering in place. Let dry for one hour.
- 4. Cut strips of ribbon to fit inside recessed box lid area, overlapping at corners. Adhere ribbon strips and any additional design elements to box lid using glue.
- 5. Wrap ribbon around box at top of fabric sides to hide raw fabric edges; adhere using glue. Let dry for one hour.
- 6. Apply three layers of découpage medium to fabric and ribbon surfaces, allowing one hour drying time between coats. Découpage should be clear before applying next coat. Let project dry overnight
- 7. Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Elevate box above work surface on four disposable cups, inset about 1" from box edges.
- 8. Wearing gloves, measure and mix 4 oz. of epoxy following manufacturer's instructions. Pour half of mixed epoxy into recessed portion of box lid. Spread gently with foam brush. Continuing with same brush, apply remaining epoxy to box sides. Avoid applying epoxy to painted areas where lid and box meet; epoxy will seal lid closed.
- 9. Remove bubbles from surface with heat tool or by gently blowing through drinking straw to pop. During first hour of drying, occasionally scrape away epoxy drips under box using craft stick.
- 10. Leave box in warm, dust-free room to dry for 24 hours.
- 11. Adhere tassel loop to handle.
- 1. After epoxy has dried for a day or two, unwanted drips can be sanded from the underside of the box using 80-grit sandpaper.