Antiqued Mosaic Box
- Wooden jewelry box, 4”x4”
- Glass pieces: brown and white square tiles; mirror tiles; light brown pebbles, two
- Flat-sided bronze freshwater pearl beads
- Resin cameo, 1-1/2”
- Double-wheeled mosaic tile cutter
- White grout
- Bronze antiquing gel
- Quick-drying spray varnish
- Clear-drying wood craft glue
- ruler, safety glasses, small hammer, plastic gallon bag, sponges, soft cloth, newspaper (to cover work area), plastic container and spoon
- 1. Adhere cameo to center of jewelry box lid. Adhere one glass pebble on each side of cameo.
- 2. Adhere row of pearl beads around lid, inset 1/8" from edge.
- 3. Place tiles in plastic bag on hard flat surface. Using hammer, lightly tap each tile to break into smaller pieces.
- 4. Adhere tiles to lid one at a time using small drops of glue. Let dry completely. (Note: Tiles only need to be held in place for grouting. Glue is dry when tiles are immobile. This can take up to 12 hours depending on weather and environment.)
- 5. Gently apply bronze gel to inside and outside of jewelry box, excluding tiled lid top. Let dry completely.
- 6. Apply single coat of varnish over bronzed areas excluding tiled lid. Let dry completely.
- 7. Add several heaping spoonfuls of grout into plastic container. Add drops of antiquing gel to give grout beige hue. Add drops of cold water until grout is correct consistency following manufacturer's instructions.
- 8. Spread grout over jewelry box lid using finger or craft stick. Gently press grout between all tiles and pearls, leaving no air pockets. Wipe away any grout that might run onto sides of lid.
- 9. Gently wipe away grout from surface of mosaic pieces using damp soft cloth. Let grout dry 10-15 minutes.
- 10. Gently wipe away excess grout from surface using damp sponge. Rinse sponge out constantly and wring before reusing.
- 11. Let project dry thoroughly following grout manufacturer's instructions. Buff tiles and wipe dust with soft cloth. Apply sealer. Let dry.
- 1. Cotton swabs work well to clean grout and haze from surface of tiles and pearls.