Magical Mermaid Apron
Magical Mermaid Apron
- Lollipop Rainbow Magical Mermaid: Pre-printed Fabric Panel, 24” (9654-0126), Crab Tossed Fabric (9662-0126), All Over Blue (9655-0150), Blue Wave Dot (9661-0150)
- White rickrack, 22”
- Decorative ribbon, 1/2”x22”
- Eyelet trim, 1/2”x22”
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Sewing needle
- straight pins, measuring tape or ruler, rotary cutter and cutting board, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Cut out apron pieces as follows: 8-1/2"x22" All Over Blue upper section piece, 5-1/2"x22" lower section piece (fussy cut border from 24" pre-printed fabric panel), 13-1/2"x22" Blue Wave Dot lining piece, 4"x15" Crab Tossed waistband piece, two 3-1/2"x24" Crab Tossed tie pieces.
- 2. Cut out 22" pieces of rickrack, decorative ribbon and eyelet trim.
- 3. Sew lower section to upper section using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seam.
- 4. Pin lining to apron with right sides together and raw edges even. Baste raw edges together. Sew sides and upper edges using 1/4" seam. Trim corners, turn apron right side out, and press.
- 5. Sew eyelet trim to bottom edge, folding 1/4" piece under every 1". Sew decorative ribbon across top edge of eyelet trim, turning ends under so edges are even with apron's edge. Sew rickrack along seam, turning ends under so they are even with apron's edge.
- 6. Gather top edge of apron to measure 14" across.
- 7. Fold 3-1/2"x24" fabric strip in half lengthwise right sides together. Press. Sew across long edge and one short end using 1/4" seam. Turn right side out and press. Pleat raw end of tie to measure 1-1/4" and baste. Repeat to make two.
- 8. Fold 4"x15" waistband piece in half lengthwise with wrong sides facing and press. Open then press under 1/4" on one long edge.
- 9. With raw edges even and right sides together, sew apron to unpressed edge of waistband 1/2" from each edge. Press seam toward waistband.
- 10. Baste pleated ends of ties to right side of waistband just below fold. Fold waistband right sides together and sew side edges even with edge of apron. Turn waistband right side out and press.
- 11. Slipstitch along pressed edge. Topstitch waistband close to bottom edge.