Sewn Easter Basket
Sewn Easter Basket
- Interior fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Exterior main body fabric , 1/3 yd.
- Exterior contrast and handle fabric, 1/8 yd.
- Medium weight fusible interfacing, 1/2 yd.
- Ruffle fabric embellishment, 1/8 yd.
- Grosgrain ribbon, 1 spool
- Sewing machine with coordinating threads
- Self-healing mat
- scissors, rotary cutter, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Note: All seam allowances use 1/2" unless otherwise noted. Materials listed make one basket.
- 2. Cut two 4"x15" rectangles from exterior contrast fabric and two 8"x15" rectangles of exterior body fabric. Cut two 11"x15" pieces from interior fabric and two 11"x15" pieces from fusible interfacing. For handles, cut two 2-1/2"x12" rectangles from contrast fabric and two 2-1/2"x12" rectangles from fusible interfacing. Cut 3-1/2"x44" ruffle strip.
- 3. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse all cut pieces with fusible interfacing except for ruffles piece.
- 4. Take handle pieces and place right sides together. Sew side seams closed. Turn right side out and press. Topstitch side seam 1/4" from edge.
- 5. Sew side length of exterior contrast fabric piece to other exterior contrast fabric piece with right sides together. Press seam open. Repeat with exterior body pieces.
- 6. For ruffles, take ruffle strip and fold one long edge under 1/2" toward wrong side of fabric. Press. Turn 1/2" under again; press. Sew along pressed edge. Ruffle raw long edge with baste stitch. Pull bottom baste stitch gently to ruffle fabric. Pin ruffle raw edge to top edge of exterior body pieces. Sandwich ruffle between exterior body piece and exterior contrast piece with raw edges matching. Sew using 1/2" seam allowance. Press open. (If you're making basket without ruffle, follow this step, but omit ruffle in middle of exterior pieces.)
- 7. Sew side and bottom of basket with right sides together to assemble tote exterior.
- 8. To make corner gussets, fold tote corner down so seams are lined up and corner makes a triangle (see diagram). Press. Measure down 2-1/2" from triangle tip and draw a line straight across. Stitch across that line and trim excess fabric. Turn right side out to finish gusset. Repeat on other corner.
- 9. For basket interior, place interior basket pieces right sides together. Sew side seams and bottom seams closed leaving a 5" opening in center of seam. Refer to Step 7 to make corner gussets.
- 10. Center and pin handles to basket exterior. With right sides together, make sure handle selvage and top selvage of basket align. Baste stitch handles in place.
- 11. Slide interior basket over exterior basket with right sides together. Align top edges, pin and sew together. Turn basket right side out through interior basket bottom opening. Hand-sew the opening closed. Press top edges. Topstitch 1/8" around top edge.
- 12. For ribbon, pin 1" grosgrain ribbon directly above ruffle seam, turning raw edges under. Sew along both edges of ribbon. Cut two 20" ribbon lengths to make bows for each side. Hand-sew into place.