IKEA PILÖRT Fabric
Pillow form, 14”x14”
DMC Embroidery Floss
Frame with 5”x7” opening
Prismacolor Permanent Markers in colors of choice
Sewing machine and matching thread
Hand sewing needle
Container of water
*Visit our how-to's page for tips on how to color on fabric
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Garden issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Position desired fabric design for pillow and cut two 15” squares.
2. Example shown is done using embroidery, markers and watercolors. Use watercolor and marker elements before adding embroidery. (See tutorials for watercolor and marker techniques.) Create French knots using six strands of embroidery floss and wrapping twice.
3. Machine-sew fabric squares together with right sides facing using ½” seam allowance; leave 6” opening on bottom edge. Trim corners and turn right side out. Insert pillow form and hand-sew opening closed.
1. Cut 9”x11” panel from desired fabric design.
2. Follow marker tutorial to fill in areas as desired or follow watercolor tutorial to paint design as desired. Let dry for 20 minutes for markers and one hour for watercolors.
3. Add embroidery stitches as desired using six strands of embroidery floss.
4. Center fabric panel onto mat board. Fold sides, top and bottom to mat board back and tape in place. Insert design into frame.
*tip: Visit our how-to's page for tips on how to color on fabric